PDA

View Full Version : Famicom Detective Club

Haeleth
2004-10-11, 12:55
There's a translation (http://donut.parodius.com/?func=trans&platform=snes&gamekey=297) out. It's one of the best SNES games ever (Dark Law and Neugier fans take note), and it's basically a very interactive visual novel, complete with romantic subplot (Kanon fans take note). Oh, and I was involved with proofreading and editing and such like, which is why I'm plugging it.

So, like, play it, okay? Or Ayumi-chan will cry.

Oh, and don't blame me for the subtitle, that's Demi's fault. ^^;

Eden
2004-10-11, 14:01
This looks and sounds good. Had to read through the entire readme to find [where to get the ROM] though. It didn't come up on search, except for a broken link. U_U

I'll proberly start playing this tomorrow, after college and interview.

Soulfang
2004-10-11, 17:45
I LOVED IT.

Seriously, after beating this game today, I've fallen in love with this series. It reminded me how much I used to love mystery stories... I'd love to help translate if anyone decided to hack the other games.

By the way, demi's readme names a third game in the series released on Bandai Satillaview or whatever... the only game I found hasn't worked on any emulators, and is split into three parts. Are these the same?

AzureLight
2004-10-11, 21:04
Shoot me, because I can NEVER like old games :o

Korgath
2004-10-12, 00:39
I played this before (for about 5 minutes...) and it indeed seemed interesting. Could anyone tell me how long it takes to get to an ending? And with "ending" I don't mean that I tripped on the sidewalk and landed on a random fork on the road and got my tranchea punctured 10 minutes into the game, naturally.

The reason I'd like to know is that I'm almost finished with Never 7 and Pikmin 2 has just been released in Europe. Since I really liked the first part, and the second part seems to be better in about every way, that game's going to have priority for a while. However, if this game takes about 20 hours to complete I think I'll just play it in between. Otherwise I'll play it after I've completed Pikmin 2, I guess.

Soulfang
2004-10-12, 00:49
I beat it in an afternoon. I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of three to four hours, depending on how quickly you read.

Haeleth
2004-10-12, 02:27
Shoot me, because I can NEVER like old games :o
(shoots AzureLight)

Incidentally, this is from 1998. It's only a year older than Kanon...

demi's readme names a third game in the series released on Bandai Satillaview or whatever... the only game I found hasn't worked on any emulators, and is split into three parts. Are these the same?
BS探偵倶楽部 ~雪に消えた過去~, right? It does work in some emulators (Snes9xpp SE' managed the best last time I tried, Zophar's has it), but getting it to run is horrible... you need to find a Satellaview BIOS, then you need to figure out how to set the time of day correctly (honest!). And it's a bit disappointing when you do get it to run - no music, for one thing.

Korgath
2004-10-12, 02:33
I beat it in an afternoon. I'd say somewhere in the neighborhood of three to four hours, depending on how quickly you read.

Excellent, thanks.

Soulfang
2004-10-12, 11:56
BS探偵倶楽部 ~雪に消えた過去~, right? It does work in some emulators (Snes9xpp SE' managed the best last time I tried, Zophar's has it), but getting it to run is horrible... you need to find a Satellaview BIOS, then you need to figure out how to set the time of day correctly (honest!). And it's a bit disappointing when you do get it to run - no music, for one thing.

I got it to play, but the text is all garbled :/

Aldareon
2004-10-12, 17:59
Incidentally, this is from 1998. It's only a year older than Kanon...

They STILL make SNES games till now?? Man .. and I gave away mine for $10 back in the old days. Should have kept it as an ancient artifact only to have it reactivated for a modern game ~_~

I can NEVER like old games :o
I dunno. Last time I played an SNES game was 3 years ago, along with some of my fave SEGA ones (like sonic!). However after having touched an XBOX I'm kinda reluctant to go retro again. But if popular belief says the storyline is a must-see, then that's enough incentive for me!

Nanatuha
2004-10-13, 04:38
ooh! It is a good old game. I feel nostalgia.

It is translated even picture characters in title screen. wonderful.

Tabi
2004-11-01, 09:09
Yay, I just managed to get hold of it, it seems interesting so far. Though I can't help but wonder about the whole "Girl in Back" thing... will it make sense eventually? At first I thought that maybe it was a typo for "Girl in Black", but now I'm talking to some schoolgirls and they're all "... The tale of the Girl in Back? It creeps me out...", and I'm curious. But so far I'm enjoying it \o/

Haeleth
2004-11-02, 04:27
"In back" is an Americanism that is to "behind" as "in front" is to "before". It just means that the girl is behind the subject.

Like I said, blame Demi for that. :p

Tabi
2004-11-02, 08:04
Ahh, it makes sense now XD. I was wondering if it meant that, after I sat there pondering "she's covered in blood, not black clothes, so it can't be -that-"... after everyone was like "The girl appears behind people!" I went up behind one of my friends and went "I'M IN BACK OF YOU" and she was like "huh?"... but I guess it's a bit like if someone asks if you've got a garden and you're like "Oh, it's out (the) back" or so.

Hurrah British-American differences \o/

JudicatorOmega
2004-11-08, 16:01
Heh, I haven't heard anyone say "in back of him/her/you" since I was 6 to 8 years old. Only the little kids use "in back" because they don't actually know what "behind" is yet. This is so funny!