PDA

View Full Version : Kanon and Linux, fonts and encoding issues

naa
2004-09-26, 04:10
Alright... I'm hoping someone out there has run into the same problem as myself, as I'm not seing an Xkanon forum. Anyway, shortly after the translated version ends (and very occasionally before it) I get strings of text such as 0xac 0xa4 which I'm presuming represent hte original Japanese text. However, I haven't a clue as to how to get this to appear properly in Linux. For that matter, any Japanese text on this or any other website appears, for me, as a small box with 4 letters/numbers within. Would anyone perhaps be able to point me at a way to fix this?

Oh, right: Lest I forget, let me just say that you ROCK. Anyone involved in the translation. ^^

Haeleth
2004-09-26, 10:40
Anyway, shortly after the translated version ends (and very occasionally before it) I get strings of text such as 0xac 0xa4 which I'm presuming represent the original Japanese text. However, I haven't a clue as to how to get this to appear properly in Linux.
Arkazam's xkanon doesn't currently support Japanese text: as you can see, it converts Japanese characters into hexadecimal. Since JAGARL's xkanon segfaults if you try to play the patched Kanon with it, I'm afraid the answer is that currently you can't easily play the untranslated parts on Linux.

The current development version does support Japanese text, but it's broken in other ways, and I don't think there's any public CVS access anyway...

For that matter, any Japanese text on this or any other website appears, for me, as a small box with 4 letters/numbers within. Would anyone perhaps be able to point me at a way to fix this?
Well, that rather depends on what distro and software you're using! ^^;

You may be missing Japanese fonts or Japanese language support - check in your distro's package manager or configuration system. Or it could be as simple as going to the relevant menu in your browser and selecting an option with a name along the lines of "Auto-detect Japanese text". Or you might have some weird setup that depends on POSIX locale settings, in which case I'm not sure even divine intervention can help you. ;)

If none of those options suggests anything, the best place to ask is really your distro's support system, though I'll try and help if you post some details of what you're using...

zalas
2004-09-26, 11:08
This howto might help:
http://www.tlug.jp/craigoda/writings/linux-nihongo/

naa
2004-09-27, 03:07
Heh, thanks much for the quick response. ^^ I didn't see any forum for xkanon, or I'd have asked there.. The main problem as I see it is the lack of internationalization support for my install of Slackware, as iit seems only KDE has such. KDE runs *way* too resource-heavy for my taste, and I'd rather not install it at all (as most of the apps I use use either GTK+ or console anyway). However, I'm at a loss as to how to install the international language support.

Haeleth
2004-09-27, 06:16
This is the closest there is to a forum for xkanon at the moment, so there's no problem asking here at all.

First, you'll be glad to hear that the KDE i18n packages are irrelevant, as they only affect KDE apps. GTK+ does its own i18n thing in GLib and Pango. I don't know if Slackware's GTK+ packages include the Japanese bits, though.

You can get some Japanese-support packages for Slackware from ftp://ftp.plathome.co.jp/pub/linux/slackware-je/ - the kochi-* and shinomome-* packages are probably the ones you need, as they're the Japanese fonts. The 9.0 packages for those should work in 10.0.

If you're using a Mozilla-based browser, apparently the versions distributed with Slackware don't include Japanese support, but the ones distributed at mozilla.org do. If you're using lynx, links, or w3m, you just need a Japanese terminal - I recommend mlterm, it's the nicest I've found.

BTW, any hexadecimal strings appearing in the Kanon translation before the end of the translated section are bugs. Can you remember whereabouts you saw them?

zalas
2004-09-27, 13:03
I installed Slackware 10.0, but compiled my own X.org 11R6.8, and the Japanese fonts work fine (a bit ugly tho ^^;) in mozilla.

naa
2004-09-28, 02:34
Thanks much for your help, all. I'm seriously looking at doing a from-scratch install before too long, that helps a lot. ^^ I don't recall exactly where the odd stuff I saw was, but I'll backstep from some of my saves. There was one point where there was a garbled mass of text as well, and a hexcode or two.