PDA

View Full Version : Clannad Translation Project

Soulfang
2004-08-30, 12:57
Official Homepage
http://misu-net.com/clannad/ (Thanks to Misu for hosting!)

Notice
(last updated December 23, 2004)

Added this little blurb to give you guys updates about the project. I did get all offers for translation support and that is very welcomed! I added you guys to the members list and soon enough I'll get you guys some script to work on, the Christmas season is busy!

Status
RealLive Hacking: 100% (Haeleth)
Graphics Hacking: ?% (?)

Translation: ~2% (Soulfang)
Editing: 0% (?)
Graphics Editing: 0% (?)
QC: 0% (?)

Members Involved
(listed in alphabetical order)

Haeleth - Programming, Translation
Misu - Web Hosting
Soulfang - Translation

Legal Notices
Clannad is (c) 2004 VisualArt's/Key. This is a fan translation and is not for sale in any way, shape, or form. If Key decides to send a C&D to this project, all work will be halted in respect to them.

Contact Soulfang
E-mail: soulfang AT tampabay DOT rr DOT com
IRC: Soulfang on IRCHighway

fin.

Haeleth
2004-08-30, 13:33
Good to see that get off the ground at last! If there's anything else I can do to help, you have only to ask.

Aldareon
2004-08-30, 15:05
Wow! Another one man team translation project. That's dedication. Good luck! We're all rooting for you

adun50
2004-08-30, 15:35
that's really cool. well at least you'll know you'll have 100% support from all of us here and we'll help as much as our talents can take us.

Weave
2004-08-30, 23:56
OH! Farland Symphony huh? I haven't heard of that game since I was in Korea........

Good luck tranx Clannad, that ain't no short story there bud.

AstCd2
2004-08-31, 01:05
Hey, if Fate/Stay Night can be done, so can Clannad =P
I'll certainly be supporting it to the extent my skills allow

ご健闘を祈ります~♪

Korgath
2004-08-31, 02:52
Good luck, especially with "HAVE A GOOD ECCHI!"

きっと大変になりますから、応援していますよ~。

AzureLight
2004-08-31, 06:38
Until Farland Symphony is finished

高らかな天を仰いだ
飛び立つ白い鳥の群れに
のせた夢はどこへゆくのとたずね~

Haeleth
2004-09-06, 07:59
Jagarl (author of xkanon) has released (http://www.creator.club.ne.jp/~jagarl/diary200409a.html#2004-9-3) a very preliminary version of a RealLive clone called "xlove". It's still at a very early stage, i.e. doesn't run Clannad at all, and I had to hack the code a bit before it would even compile for me, but it's a good first step towards RealLive on Linux.

If you're wondering what this has to do with Soulfang's project, the answer is that I'd never have got far hacking AVG32 if I hadn't been able to look stuff up in the xkanon source code. If xlove can provide a similar resource for RealLive, that's going to make hacking Clannad a whole lot easier.

K
2004-09-06, 08:43
Haeleth, I do recall at one point you translated a small snippet of Clannad's text.

Mind telling the guy how that worked? Unless there's already a better way >_>

Haeleth
2004-09-06, 09:13
I did that by editing the bytecode directly; I suspect Soulfang used the same technique to produce his screenshot. Unless he's already got hold of a compiler from somewhere else -- but AFAIK there won't be one available till I write it.

Soulfang
2004-09-22, 17:55
I did that by editing the bytecode directly; I suspect Soulfang used the same technique to produce his screenshot. Unless he's already got hold of a compiler from somewhere else -- but AFAIK there won't be one available till I write it.

That's right.

I hope to have Farland Symphony wrapped up in the next few months (just waiting for translation from someone else at this point), so as soon as Haeleth finishes the compiler, the real work can start.

Dairu
2004-10-06, 11:07
here's a serious offer, if you want help with translating clannad, e-mail me

my e-mail address is phoenix_rising_000@hotmail.com

Haeleth
2004-10-16, 13:19
Yay! I just figured out what the irritating tables of apparently randomly incrementing integers in the headers are for!* Which means I'm pretty sure I can now generate 100% compatible RealLive bytecode.

Still a few issues to sort out with compression and text formatting, but I should be able to package up a working assembler pretty quickly now. Clannad in English just got one little step closer to reality.

* They contain the entrypoint indices and line numbers corresponding to the 既読フラグ marker opcodes. In case anyone cares. Which you probably don't.

adun50
2004-10-16, 15:08
~wai wai~

/me starts throwing confetti around

zalas
2004-10-17, 02:13
/me starts throwing buttons around

Haeleth
2004-10-24, 15:58
First non-fake English Clannad screenshot ever:

http://haeleth.net/temp/clannad.jpg

Soulfang
2004-10-24, 19:31
Yay!! :D

I feel inspired! *translates more*

zalas
2004-10-24, 22:53
Is the font freely settable? Like if I wanted a VWF font?

AstCd2
2004-10-25, 00:18
Nice work!
Now the only problem left is translating the thing =P

Haeleth
2004-10-25, 01:58
Is the font freely settable? Like if I wanted a VWF font?
RealLive is horrible with text. You can select VWF fonts, but they're used as glyph sources and nothing more - the character widths are taken from GAMEEXE.INI, so you end up with m's overlapping and l's five miles apart.

(I can actually think of several ways of implementing VWF, but as they'd all require me to do unspeakably horrible things I won't go into details. Let's just say it ain't gonna happen... :p)

adun50
2004-10-25, 06:05
nice, at least we know that the project is taking flight. now to only do the other 99%(?)

roxfan
2004-10-25, 12:23
Sinji? o.O

Haeleth
2004-10-25, 13:27
I haven't touched the credits. They use bitmaps, and I haven't got an encoder for the .g00 format yet, so I couldn't change them if I wanted to. I suggest you take it up with Orito-san himself if you don't like the way he romanises his name! :p

Aldareon
2004-10-26, 00:33
/me looks gleefully at the divine screenshot
Yay!! :D

I feel inspired! *translates more*
I agree! Now I feel enticed to purchase my own copy of Clannad. Although .. I think I'm the only one left in this forum who's held back the temptations for so long ;)

I suggest you take it up with Orito-san himself if you don't like the way he romanises his name! :p
Orito-san? I thought the 'fang was doing the translation.

Soulfang
2004-10-26, 00:54
I suggest you take it up with Orito-san himself if you don't like the way he romanises his name! :p
Orito-san? I thought the 'fang was doing the translation.

The game already has romanized credits ;)

adun50
2004-10-26, 01:01
/m
I agree! Now I feel enticed to purchase my own copy of Clannad. Although .. I think I'm the only one left in this forum who's held back the temptations for so long ;)

make that two!

but yeah, the credits were already romanized. i've played Clannad for a bit, but it got to the point where i couldn't be bothered to restart the computer everytime i wanted to change regional settings

emperor
2004-10-26, 06:36
/m

make that two!

[...] i've played Clannad for a bit, [...]
You now feel enticed to buy the game but at the same time you already played it? Does that make sense? Anyways, you guys are not the last ones, seeing how the old products are still available even know I am not in a hurry to buy it.

Asmadi
2004-10-26, 10:59
You now feel enticed to buy the game but at the same time you already played it? Does that make sense?

Well you know how that could be possible... ;)

adun50
2004-10-26, 15:22
You now feel enticed to buy the game but at the same time you already played it? Does that make sense?

internet is your beeeeessst friend :)

emperor
2004-10-27, 18:07
Okay I get the hint. Somehow it's actually nothing you should act about like it's "normal" though in the current social development it might actually seem like it is. Trying to avoid an argument all I have to say is: I should have calculated with it,I guess with my way of thinking which made me believe that the quoted post was not read carefully enough(this actually often happens in boards for some reason) and therefore resulting in a nonsense post is probably not adjusted enough to find the answer immediately.

Asmadi
2004-10-27, 22:57
It's okay, we forgive you :)

Soulfang
2004-10-29, 10:12
More real insertion!

http://revolve.emuxhaven.net/nagisa/01.png

http://revolve.emuxhaven.net/nagisa/02.png

http://revolve.emuxhaven.net/nagisa/03.png

http://revolve.emuxhaven.net/nagisa/04.png

Haeleth
2004-10-29, 10:48
Argh, the first one was translated in the dreaded past tense!

It was nice to see the program works, though. ^^

zalas
2004-10-29, 11:25
Arrrrg, change the font change the font >_>;;
*puts his inner typesettor back in the cage*
ehem
Nice work :)

Soulfang
2004-10-29, 13:17
Argh, the first one was translated in the dreaded past tense!

AGH! It's just instinctual for me to do that for some reason.

It was nice to see the program works, though. ^^

Yes, after what seemed like an eternity of messing with Cygwin, it worked ;0

And yeah, I'll change the font. XP

Haeleth
2004-10-29, 14:08
AstCd2 will try to tell you it's better that way. Don't listen to him, okay? :p

Tagan
2004-10-29, 14:16
ehem

Actually I kinda like that font, seems dynamic and cool ^^.

Aldareon
2004-10-29, 16:31
ehem
What did you have in mind? Let's have a poll! .. .. .. ..
Actually, on second thought - forget the poll. I have no gripes with the current one. It's very high school like. But I must admit that the font's different from what I expected. And it's nice to see that it's all well spaced out. I dunno if anybody else had the same problem, but when I ran the previous Kanon translation patch some of the spacings were kinda uneven.

adun50
2004-10-29, 16:44
hey that's cool, and the font looks pretty good. but i'm sure you can add an option to change fonts.

AstCd2
2004-10-29, 19:51
AstCd2 will try to tell you it's better that way. Don't listen to him, okay? :p

Oh, the repeated use of the present tense in Kanon has already convinced (brainwashed?) me that it's better =P

Past tense is more novel-like, but the general concensus for visual novels seems to be that present tense gives it a sense of immediacy during the action scenes and dramatic moments.

In any case, it's best to decide the tense early, because it'd be a pain to go back and change everything.

Fontwise:
I have no gripes with the current one. It's very high school like. But I must admit that the font's different from what I expected.

I actually like the font, but I don't think it'd be suitable for every scene in the game. A significant proportion of Clannad has very little to do with school at all, and I can well imagine it seeming a little out of place in some parts. Still, I guess that'd be a problem with just about any non-generic font.

Haeleth
2004-10-30, 14:41
Oh, the repeated use of the present tense in Kanon has already convinced (brainwashed?) me that it's better =P
Past tense is more novel-like...
Yay, a convert! ^^
Actually, these days an awful lot of novels do get written in the present tense. Mostly literary stuff, I guess, which is most certainly NOT a label I'd apply to many ren'ai games, but novels nonetheless.

As for the font, that's just the one Soulfang is using, not something that anyone else is going to be forced to use. (I'm not sure what it is, either... my first guess was either Mikachan or Holiday, but the 'g' is wrong...)

Super NoNo
2004-10-30, 15:44
Maybe it seems strange to ask this but Is there a translation pack in english for clannad ???
I went to the unofficial translation site of clannad but i haven't found one !!

Does something like this exist or is it something you have to pay for ???

as you can see i am completly lost !!!

all of you seem's too know what you talk about but for a person like me it's quite strange (i never play a key game 'cause i don't speak japanese)
please write me back soon some answers

bye bye

le chien volant vincra !!

emperor
2004-10-30, 16:40
No patch has been made so far so you can stop looking...

super nono
2004-10-30, 17:21
how rude !

well i gess i must be gratefull ! so........ thank you !

the flying dog
2004-10-30, 17:30
well so it seems that a teem is working on a translation of the game but they haven't finish yet !!
I hope it will be finish soon ! ;)

That kind of work must be hard and require a lot of skills !
So Keep on good stuff !!!

Le chien volant est de retour pour tous vous bouffer ! :p

K
2004-10-30, 19:27
My impression is that any fan translation of Clannad will take at least two years (and even that's... really fast), but feel free to prove me wrong >_>

adun50
2004-10-30, 20:17
well i can say that the Clannad Translation Project has only scracthed the surface of the entire game. The script for it is huge. but then there's also the debugging of it to make it all work properly.

but just as K has stated, we'll be lucky to see the project completed in 2 years. remember, this is done out of the freetime of the people working on the project. for example is Haleth's translation patch, so far it's been 3 year (??) and the game is only done halfway.

the flying dog
2004-10-30, 20:34
I knew that was long .......but not THAT long.
Does anyone can give me the name of similar game (wich are completely translate ) and were to get some translation patch if it's possible ?

thank you :p

le chien volant nous sauvera tous !!

2004-10-30, 22:46
well i can say that the Clannad Translation Project has only scracthed the surface of the entire game. The script for it is huge. but then there's also the debugging of it to make it all work properly.

but just as K has stated, we'll be lucky to see the project completed in 2 years. remember, this is done out of the freetime of the people working on the project. for example is Haleth's translation patch, so far it's been 3 year (??) and the game is only done halfway.

........and hopefully, he'll finish the script by Christmas. Take your time, Haeleth. We'd all rather see polished work than rushed jobs.

But don't take too long, of course :D

I knew that was long .......but not THAT long.
Does anyone can give me the name of similar game (wich are completely translate ) and were to get some translation patch if it's possible ?

I doubt you'll be able to find any completed works. So far, Haeleth's work with Kanon's the most complete fan-translation job I've seen for a ren'ai game, as the rest are either too slow, or have abandoned their projects around the 20-30% mark. You MIGHT want to keep an eye on the joint project translation (Revolve-mirror moon) of Tsukihime, which seems to be quite speedy as compared to the others.

Honestly, I've yet to see a 100% translation of any of these games

AstCd2
2004-10-30, 23:17
I doubt you'll be able to find any completed works. So far, Haeleth's work with Kanon's the most complete fan-translation job I've seen for a ren'ai game, as the rest are either too slow, or have abandoned their projects around the 20-30% mark.

I hear Insani's work on Wind ~A Breath of Heart~ is going quite well. You might want to check NLA's Fate/Stay Night project, too. It'll probably be years before they finish the whole thing, but apparently they're going to release it in segments.

You MIGHT want to keep an eye on the joint project translation (Revolve-mirror moon) of Tsukihime, which seems to be quite speedy as compared to the others.

Sadly, most of the stuff that's been done is for paths that you can't play until you've finished the Arcueid/Ciel path at least once. How fast is the Arcueid/Ciel translation going, you ask? Er... hey, look over there!
(runs off)

But hey, at least it'll be out before Clannad =P

roxfan
2004-10-31, 01:54
I have one problem with the font: it's too thin.

Haeleth
2004-10-31, 03:43
for example is Haleth's translation patch, so far it's been 3 year (??) and the game is only done halfway.
First release was Sept. 2002, so that's only a little over two years by my reckoning. And the script's over 90% translated now. I doubt I'll finish all the editing in time for Ayu's next birthday<sup>1</sup>, though...

Anyway, what I can say is that the real rate-determining step is always translators. I was working alone for a very long time, and that's really the only reason why Kanon's taken so long. If Soulfang can attract some fast workers, Clannad might not be as big a problem as it looks. For example, Tsukihime's bigger than Kanon, and just look how fast that's been progressing recently - it almost looks like Revolve might be going to finish a project!

<sup>1</sup> January 7th.

Korgath
2004-10-31, 08:51
Speaking about translation, do you (or anyone else) plan on translating Planetarian once you're done with Kanon? Just wondering, since it will probably be a fairly small project compared to Kanon.

As for me, I'm too busy to really be of much help for any translation project, but I might help out with Planetarian if I like it enough.

2004-11-03, 03:24
I second the request for a Planetarian translation. Since its a novel and doesn't have choices, the script shouldn't be as large as Kanon/Air/Clannad and would be linear. Translating it shouldn't be too difficult or take too long.

........I guess?

Haeleth
2004-11-03, 04:30
You can't judge a book by its cover... and Planetarian won't even have a cover to judge it by, if it's download-only. ;)

There might be technical issues. The language might contain a lot of impenetrably hardcore sci-fi terminology. The game might be cancelled at the last moment. Really, at this stage there's nowhere near enough information to say how easy it'll be to translate.

I do expect someone to try, given the current trend for tackling Key works, and it might even be me if nobody elese gets there first, but right now it's really a "wait and see".

Nandemonai
2004-11-03, 18:58
Anyway, what I can say is that the real rate-determining step is always translators. I was working alone for a very long time, and that's really the only reason why Kanon's taken so long. If Soulfang can attract some fast workers, Clannad might not be as big a problem as it looks. For example, Tsukihime's bigger than Kanon, and just look how fast that's been progressing recently - it almost looks like Revolve might be going to finish a project!

Heh. Yeah, I can easily see that. Once a tool gets created to put text back in, anyone can use the tool (this, unfortunately, is the same phenomena as script kiddies); but translation is just not something anyone can do, unless you really WANT the AYB version.

What? Who am I? I'm one of the Peach Princess board junkies.

I've been looking forward to Kanon (the game) ever since I heard about this project. I most certainly have not seen the anime (because, of course, that would involve fansubs) and am quite anxious to try out the game. Kudos to Haeleth, kudos to the rest of the team members, you guys rock.

Weave
2004-11-04, 03:30
I blame myself. I'm too easily distrac....oh shiney!

Stranger
2004-11-04, 21:53
just wandering... when Haeleth said "Ayu's next birthday"... are you talking about 100%, or just Ayu's 100%?! (which makes me wander about the poll... I was never given a chance to vote for Nayuki)

Nandemonai, if you have issues with anime that is fansubed, then you should also have issues with Haeleth's translatoins... after all, it is similer to fansubing.. isn't it?!.

As a side note: Chobits graphics is not something that I will go out of my way to look at, so even if I did see an Ad for Chobits, I would mostlikely have ignored it. But the fansubing have made me change my mind about it, and the DVD version of Chobits is worth every penny. And this was thanks to the fansubing group who did the subing. (same thing apply to "Aishiteru ze Baby", if it comes out on DVD) To me watching a fansub, is just like watching an anime to TV (the same rule of "seen that" apply), unless ofcause you have issues with watching anime on TV as well

Haeleth
2004-11-05, 04:32
just wandering... when Haeleth said "Ayu's next birthday"... are you talking about 100%, or just Ayu's 100%?!
Well, currently it's looking like neither... but when the next patch does appear, it'll be 100%.

Fear not, Nayuki will be finished too. Unless I decide to be evil and remove all traces of the hated cousin from the game, of course. Or maybe I'll change her ending so you discover (too late) that Akiko was only fattening her up to become a jam ingredient... "Soylent Orange" anyone? :p

2004-11-05, 05:31
Fear not, Nayuki will be finished too. Unless I decide to be evil and remove all traces of the hated cousin from the game, of course. Or maybe I'll change her ending so you discover (too late) that Akiko was only fattening her up to become a jam ingredient... "Soylent Orange" anyone? :p

Actually, that wouldn't sound too bad. Maybe make a parody script after its all over? :D

Quick Question:
By "editing", most people assume that its just touching up. However, this doesn't appear to be the case if its taking so long. So, what exactly goes into the editing process?

AstCd2
2004-11-05, 05:55
Actually, that wouldn't sound too bad. Maybe make a parody script after its all over? :D

I'd certainly be interested to see Haeleth do something like Kanoso, the terribly (in every sense of the word) amusing doujin parody of Kanon. The sheer incomprehensibility of some of the jokes in that particular game could easily be considered to be on par with... oh, say, British English =P.

Quick Question:
By "editing", most people assume that its just touching up. However, this doesn't appear to be the case if its taking so long. So, what exactly goes into the editing process?

My impression is that Haeleth goes through the scripts from all the translators and makes them uniform so it'll read as if the same person had written the whole thing, instead of a handful of translators with different writing styles and inconsistent translations for various words.

He's also got his work cut out for him when it comes to deciding what to do about the frustratingly frequent pieces of heavily Japanese-culture-specific conversation, such as Shiritori (a Japanese word game) with Mai and a conversation with Ayu about personal pronouns (of which there are many in Japanese). Not an enviable task ^^;

Stranger
2004-11-05, 06:17
now it's truely way offfff topic:
now lets see Haeleth's version of a spcial epsode where all the girls have the same persenlties, but have a different roll (like one of the epsodes of "To Heart" (forgot which one) where each girl did the duty of the other girl). I can imagine Mai atticking the main charecter in his room with a sword as a prank (in place of Makoto).

humm... maybe this is a good idea for a new thread?! or maybe not.. can't be bothered

K
2004-11-05, 17:11
First release was Sept. 2002, so that's only a little over two years by my reckoning. And the script's over 90% translated now. I doubt I'll finish all the editing in time for Ayu's next birthday, though...
I don't know Japanese, but if it's just proofreading and wording and such, I'm willing to take on a few segments of the script. Not particularly large ones preferably though ^_-;

Nandemonai
2004-11-05, 17:21
just wandering... when Haeleth said "Ayu's next birthday"... are you talking about 100%, or just Ayu's 100%?! (which makes me wander about the poll... I was never given a chance to vote for Nayuki)

Nandemonai, if you have issues with anime that is fansubed, then you should also have issues with Haeleth's translatoins... after all, it is similer to fansubing.. isn't it?!.

As a side note: Chobits graphics is not something that I will go out of my way to look at, so even if I did see an Ad for Chobits, I would mostlikely have ignored it. But the fansubing have made me change my mind about it, and the DVD version of Chobits is worth every penny. And this was thanks to the fansubing group who did the subing. (same thing apply to "Aishiteru ze Baby", if it comes out on DVD) To me watching a fansub, is just like watching an anime to TV (the same rule of "seen that" apply), unless ofcause you have issues with watching anime on TV as well

Oh, I have nothing AGAINST fansubbing. But that would be illegal and I certainly would never do anything illegal.

Personally I have a very large collection of fansubs, and a very large collection of real DVDs. I do in fact own Kanon, don't worry :)

As for Chobits, I really like the manga because it pushes one of my buttons as to what I like in a storyline. I need to watch Aishiteruze Baby as well (and like 10 other shows).

As an aside, I do know a professional translator who thinks many fansubs are absolute trash in terms of translation quality ^^

Nandemonai
2004-11-05, 17:22
just wandering... when Haeleth said "Ayu's next birthday"... are you talking about 100%, or just Ayu's 100%?!
Well, currently it's looking like neither... but when the next patch does appear, it'll be 100%.

Hated? People don't like Nayuki?

I hope you'll excuse me, I'm a noob around here.

Soulfang
2004-11-05, 17:34
As an aside, I do know a professional translator who thinks many fansubs are absolute trash in terms of translation quality ^^

That really does fit most fansubs, but certainly not all of them. A handful of fansub groups do a great job with their translations. The thing is, it's easier to criticize fansubs because you can hear the audio track along with it so a person who knows both languages can tell translation errors right away, but with games, unless you're playing the original side-by-side with the fan-translated one, errors are spotted less.

But in general, fansub translators aren't usually from the top of the class ;)

2004-11-05, 18:12
The thing is, it's easier to criticize fansubs because you can hear the audio track along with it so a person who knows both languages can tell translation errors right away, but with games, unless you're playing the original side-by-side with the fan-translated one, errors are spotted less.

True....... but in the case of Kanon and AIR, there's always the voice patch to compare with, so error-spotting would be the same as fansubs in this sense. :P

This is also true for any other game with voices in it (Snow), should a translator wish to take up the job.

As an aside, I do know a professional translator who thinks many fansubs are absolute trash in terms of translation quality

....... and plenty of the fansubbers DO think that many of the works of these "professional translators" are absolute trash in terms of translation quality, too. Its just like 2 countries at war: both think that they're better, so of course they'll claim that the other's not on par with themselves. Its all a matter of perspective. ^^;

Let the end-user decide who's better.

K
2004-11-05, 19:30

Hated? People don't like Nayuki?

I hope you'll excuse me, I'm a noob around here.
"People" being Haeleth himself, yes.

As for the jam ingredient part, Haeleth, is there any way you could add, say, a new story branch after the game reaches 100%? ^_-;

(And assuming edit means proofread and such, my offer to edit a few blocks of text still stands.)

Stranger
2004-11-05, 22:34
Haeleth just likes liveing on the edge, that's why he comments on Nayuki-sama. He is the ONLY one who have issues with Nayuki-sama. As for myself, I ve been hoping for some fanservice from Nayuki and Akiko with the DVD re-release. But, look like there won't be any, any way the extra CG (from the all ages version) will make the DVD worth the purchase for me :-) (also was hopeing for something new, maybe even doing like what the SNOW did, and upgarde Mai's friend (forgot the name) to a full charecter, instead of a supporting charector)

K, first... I think you are using the <u>wrong</u> English version for this patch (MWHAHAAHAAA... sorry couldn't help it).

Just wandering... to how many languagues will Haeleth's patch be translated to?! (other then making an American English version)?!

AzureLight
2004-11-06, 05:59
;_;

And Nayuki is my er... 9th fantasy wife or something...

emperor
2004-11-06, 06:14
Just wandering... to how many languagues will Haeleth's patch be translated to?! (other then making an American English version)?!
Maybe none. In most other countries you have to learn English, so it might not be something worth the time. And I still cannot understand how people can make such a fuss about the British English. I mean there are people who are no native speakers, do they complain? They have it harder then you people who just have to think about a couple of words...really. And to read that from somebody who cannot even wrote "charactOr"(character) or "livEing"(living) or "any way"(anyway), also I think you're rather wondering instead of "wandering", doesn't quiet convince me that you aren't able to read it if it isn't 100% your language. Are you even a nativer speaker (I cannot believe a foreigner like me could find that many mistakes then...)? If not what is your problem with "another" English being used?

AstCd2
2004-11-06, 07:04
Maybe none. In most other countries you have to learn English, so it might not be something worth the time. And I still cannot understand how people can make such a fuss about the British English. I mean there are people who are no native speakers, do they complain? They have it harder then you people who just have to think about a couple of words...really. And to read that from somebody who cannot even wrote "charactOr"(character) or "livEing"(living) or "any way"(anyway), also I think you're rather wondering instead of "wandering", doesn't quiet convince me that you aren't able to read it if it isn't 100% your language. Are you even a nativer speaker (I cannot believe a foreigner like me could find that many mistakes then...)? If not what is your problem with "another" English being used?

Woah, calm down. Everyone on the board loves to josh Haeleth about the eccentricities of British English, but it's all in good humour. There's no need to take it so seriously =P

Besides, he's not just being facetious when he mentions an American English version. The issue's been brought up before as a serious possibility, and it's even mentioned in the readme file for the patch.

Haeleth
2004-11-06, 08:41
To reply to a few things briefly... I am fairly serious about getting some Americans to produce a version in their language, though I haven't decided how to go about it yet; I have considered adding some silly things to the omake, and an "evil Akiko" scenario - or maybe a translation of part of Kanoso - isn't out of the question; and the anti-Nayuki stance is entirely me being nasty and does not reflect the views of the community. ^^

As for editing, as AstCd2 said, the process basically involves me going through the whole script and adjusting things so it has a consistent style. As consistency is the goal, I really do have to do it all by myself. I may ask for some help with the proofreading that comes after that, though.

Btw, Nandemonai, in the case that you want to watch the Kanon anime but your moral objections to downloading anime are preventing you, you could always buy the DVDs and play them on your computer with a DVD player that supports subtitles - I gather you can get timed scripts for Kanon from scriptclub.org. That would be about as legal as using my patch is.

Nandemonai
2004-11-06, 10:53
Btw, Nandemonai, in the case that you want to watch the Kanon anime but your moral objections to downloading anime are preventing you, you could always buy the DVDs and play them on your computer with a DVD player that supports subtitles - I gather you can get timed scripts for Kanon from scriptclub.org. That would be about as legal as using my patch is.

I have no moral objections to fansubbing. I have moral objections to downloading licensed anime (or even those 'fansub' pretenders who release US DVD rips ¬_¬ ) but none whatsoever about downloading something that isn't available for me to buy in a store yet. Should the fansub ever come out legitimately, I usually buy the anime; that's the 'social contract' (kind of) that I feel I'm a part of.

But I do understand the rules of this board to be "don't get too much into detail on fansubs" so I'm going to tiptoe around the subject here.

2004-11-06, 14:41
I am fairly serious about getting some Americans to produce a version in their language, though I haven't decided how to go about it yet

Hmm, why don't you assign the script to some editor to "americanize" it?

roxfan
2004-11-06, 17:06
I have no moral objections to fansubbing. I have moral objections to downloading licensed anime (or even those 'fansub' pretenders who release US DVD rips ¬_¬ ) but none whatsoever about downloading something that isn't available for me to buy in a store yet.
Kanon anime is not licensed, so I don't see what's stopping you.

2004-11-06, 17:19
..............but none whatsoever about downloading something that isn't available for me to buy in a store yet. Should the fansub ever come out legitimately, I usually buy the anime; that's the 'social contract' (kind of) that I feel I'm a part of.

Strictly speaking, it IS possible for you to get it from a store in Japan (and later importing it over), and fansubs are NEVER legal, licensed or not, since they've already copyrighted over there. So yeah, its entirely up to what exact degree your social contract forbid you to do things ^^;;

AzureLight
2004-11-06, 22:48
I have no moral objections to fansubbing. I have moral objections to downloading licensed anime (or even those 'fansub' pretenders who release US DVD rips ¬_¬ ) but none whatsoever about downloading something that isn't available for me to buy in a store yet.

That's a new phenomenon that should be stopped IMO. But yeah, what roxfan said, Kanon hasn't been licensed. Although there's a slight vehement in my part, about how 'readily available' Kanon Kazahana is when in actuality that was only for the eyes of a small number of people who got that special from the DVD.

Aldareon
2004-11-06, 22:59
Hmm .. this topic seems to have its own split personality! I knew the fansub issue was going to flare up someday - it was just a matter of time. Hopefully things will settle down soon ^_^

but when the next patch does appear, it'll be 100%
That's great to hear! The translation seems to move at an exponential rate (10% -> 25% -> 50%, and soon 100%!). Any plans for a celebration party? ;)

if it's just proofreading and wording and such, I'm willing to take on a few segments of the script
Heh heh .. trying to get a sneek preview, eh??
(Just kidding!)

Nandemonai
2004-11-07, 11:04
Kanon anime is not licensed, so I don't see what's stopping you.

Absolutely nothing. Saw the show like 2 years ago ^_^

Haeleth
2004-11-07, 15:34
Ah, I understand... when you said you hadn't seen it, you meant you hadn't seen it in the same way that everyone who's using the voice patch has most certainly extracted the data from their own copy of the console version, right?

A little too subtle, perhaps... (苦笑い)

Nandemonai
2004-11-07, 16:28
Ah, I understand... when you said you hadn't seen it, you meant you hadn't seen it in the same way that everyone who's using the voice patch has most certainly extracted the data from their own copy of the console version, right?

A little too subtle, perhaps... (苦笑い)

Riiiiiiight....I would never download fansubs because that would be illegal, and of course nobody ever does anything illegal. Like speeding. Nobody speeds either.

;)

Aldareon
2004-11-08, 03:36
Hell yeah - let's dispense with the sarcasm!
(Was that sarcastic or what? ^_^ heh heh)

Baaack to the topic (like 3 pages ago or something), what's the word on the Clannad font? Has a preference already been decided on whether to stick with the standard Times New Roman feel or a more funky/radical technique?

Stranger
2004-11-08, 06:00
more important, will the Clannad translation patch allow the game to run on English Windows, or will it (like Mizuiro) still require Japanese Windows to play with the English patch?!

P.S. Ya I know, it tooooo early to ask this, but was wandering if the screen shoots were taken in Japanese Windows (most likely, since it is the default for the tranlaters) or English Windows.

Haeleth
2004-11-08, 08:03
Baaack to the topic (like 3 pages ago or something), what's the word on the Clannad font?
There isn't one. Seriously, Clannad just uses whatever fonts you have on your PC. Nobody is going to be forced to agree with Soulfang's taste. ;)

more important, will the Clannad translation patch allow the game to run on English Windows, or will it (like Mizuiro) still require Japanese Windows to play with the English patch?
It works fine in English Win2k, but freezes in English Win98. I haven't investigated the problem yet, so a workaround might exist.

Nandemonai
2004-11-08, 18:25
It works fine in English Win2k, but freezes in English Win98. I haven't investigated the problem yet, so a workaround might exist.

:(

lostotaku
2004-11-14, 07:59
To start... to soulfang and everyone involved in the Clannad translation project, I love you guys, just like I love Haeleth for doing Kanon and CR for doing AIR. I'm mostly useless and can't translate anything but remember, I'm rooting for you! Or something... anyway...
Mizuiro also worked fine on my XP system.
I am fairly serious about getting some Americans to produce a version in their language, though I haven't decided how to go about it yet
I think it's safe to say that I and every other American on these forums would be more than willing to help you. However, I've experienced absolutlely 0 problems with the English English patch, if anything it's made me consider moving to England for my education.
or maybe a translation of part of Kanoso - isn't out of the question;
The first time I saw the opening to Kanoso, I'm pretty sure my head exploded. If you would be willing to make even a tiny itty bitty demo patch for the game I would be extremely unbelievably grateful.
As a final aside, there is nothing wrong with fansubs and it should be noted also that I too never ever ever ever would even consider doing something illegal.

Haeleth
2004-11-14, 08:23
The first time I saw the opening to Kanoso, I'm pretty sure my head exploded. If you would be willing to make even a tiny itty bitty demo patch for the game I would be extremely unbelievably grateful.
As for that, all I'll say is "wait and see". ;)

lostotaku
2004-11-14, 09:35
You can count on that much. One thing at a time right? My continued support and well-wishes for your work on Kanon, for the time being I will focus on putting my head back together.

Misu
2004-12-20, 07:28
Retiring

Yup, I'm done with game translations. Not really much else to say about that.
Posted by Soulfang at 01:17 AM
Found on http://revolve.emuxhaven.net/

So does that mean the Clannad Translation Project is officially dead?

gp32
2004-12-20, 07:55
I haven't investigated the problem yet, so a workaround might exist.
I've gotten a few reports of Planetarian working on Win98 after installation of the ie_ja patch that a user named Heoun reported about in the insani forums, so if Planetarian will work, who knows?

Stranger
2004-12-20, 10:02
man.. that is some sad news (the Clannad Translation project). Oh well, wish Soulfang best of luck on what have he does next.

Hopefully someone else will pick up the project.

Good luck Soulfang.

Soulfang
2004-12-21, 15:52
man.. that is some sad news (the Clannad Translation project). Oh well, wish Soulfang best of luck on what have he does next.
I have decided not to drop Clannad, but everything else I have been working on is going. Sorry to keep you all worried about the status of the project. I'm hoping to set up some kind of site with status info.

EDIT: If any of you guys would be kind enough to offer me some kind of webhosting for my personal projects and junk (including Clannad), I'd be eternally grateful. I just need a small amount of space and a MySQL database for the backend. I'd rather not use free hosts to where I'd have to keep moving, nor do I wish to mooch off the revolve hosting any longer.

K
2004-12-21, 18:38
How much space/bandwidth? I might be able to.

Soulfang
2004-12-21, 19:51
How much space/bandwidth? I might be able to.
I doubt it would be that much bandwidth used. Space-wise, probably ~10MB...

Misu
2004-12-22, 08:47
how does 100 MBs of space and tops 10 GBs of bandwidth a month?

i sent you some information on it through PM if your interested ^^

Spiritsnare
2005-01-18, 13:38
Mm, I can work as a script/text editor as well. E-mail me if you need some editing done, I'll try to get to it ASAP (after homework and stuff like that).

Good luck with everything else concerning the translation!