PDA

View Full Version : Things I didn't understand in the Kanon translation

JudicatorOmega
2004-08-19, 13:20
Well, I have finally saw a word that made me leave the game to go look it up on Dictionary.com. I like to think that my IQ is fine at above 130, so hopefully this isn't a word that everybody else knows except for me.

On January 11, before going to school, Nayuki mentions that she needs to deliver a "circular". In my mind, I begin to imagine a paper full of math symbols, but I can't seem to find which one actualy respresents a "circular" since I don't know alot of math (yet). I hope this isn't some kind of mistake where I read the word wrong.

Circular is some kind of notice passed to people in a group isn't it? I'm lost now. Haeleth, why don't you use a word that is more simple?

Haeleth
2004-08-19, 15:46
To be perfectly honest: I used the word "circular" because I didn't know what a 回覧板 is, except that "circular" is the translation Kenkyusha gives for the word.

Now you've drawn my attention to it, I see Daijirin does actually define the word in a more useful way: it's "an information bulletin circulated among a number of people in turn, as used to notify people of matters concerning the neighbourhood association etc."

I still can't think of a better word than "circular", but if anyone else can, I'd be happy to change it. Otherwise I'll add an explanatory note.

Weave
2004-08-19, 16:19
basically a memo.

We have circulars in my line of work. Boring stuff.

Aldareon
2004-08-19, 20:17
I was under the impression that she was talking about the school newsletter, which she had to distribute (circulate) to the other classmates. Either that, or it was her turn to write an article and she had to submit it.

Stranger
2004-08-19, 21:57
sorry, but I don't see the problem with the word "circular"... the word is even used in the company that I work for, (they never reach my department though, they always have nothing to do with IT).

The way I understod the seen that day. Nayuki recived some memo or note saying that the time changed for the trash burning day (I don't remember the full seen correctly). And she was going to desturbute the memo ("circular") to people living next to them... (still I don't know why *SHE* is doing that).

Sorry, but I always thought that "circular" was an English word.... isn't it??

P.S. I know that there is a word for "people living next door"... but I tryed to spell it more then once and it didn't come out correctly... sorry

procyon
2004-08-20, 10:03
"circular" made sense to me, though I don't hear the term used here (people tend to use "memo")

This is probably an "English English" vs. "American English" type of thing...

JudicatorOmega
2004-08-21, 01:29
Nayuki was actualy going to post notices to inform the neighbors about a change in garbage burning day when she was already going to be late for school? This is exactly why I love Key games, the characters say such fun and interesting things! Nayuki even inspired me to try out strawberry jam on toasted bread and I think it is delicious.

I remember Haeleth made a note about students changing shoes for indoor and outdoor environments (because Yuuichi runs outside with the same shoes to meet Shiori). It sounds like a good idea, but I am almost certain we don't do that in America ^_^.

That reminds me, Nayuki calls her mother 'mum' instead of 'mom'. that is teh crazy!!!!11 I like 'mom' only so that I can childishly say ' my mommy knows best!'. I used to think mum was slang for mom, but I guess its normal for users of English-English. Keep it the way you want it though.

AstCd2
2004-08-21, 02:29
It's always been "Mum" where I live, though you could probably get away with using "Mom" given the strong influx of Americanisms here =P.

I've never heard anyone except very young children use "Mummy" or "Mommy", although I'm under the (mistaken?) impression that some older people do in Britain. Of course, I learned everything I know about British society off old BBC sitcoms, so I could well be off.

As for memo vs circular, I'd stick with circular. As far as I'm concerned, a memo is something that gets passed around an office, not the neighbourhood.

Haeleth
2004-08-21, 09:20
Going by what people have said, I guess I'll stick with "circular" and add a note explaining what she's apparently talking about. Let nobody say fan translations aren't educational...

I've never heard anyone except very young children use "Mummy" or "Mommy", although I'm under the (mistaken?) impression that some older people do in Britain.
Not mistaken; I use it myself. But adult use is pretty much limited to the Oxbridge-educated professional upper middle classes (that is, the non-Cockney stereotype), and even there it's a bit old-fashioned and only appropriate in a dwindling set of circumstances.

Anyway, Nayuki's usage is perfectly natural in my dialect. I'm less sure about Shiori, she might be more of a "Mum" person.

JudicatorOmega
2004-08-21, 14:27
Staying on subject. I will keep posting new messeges on words that seem unneccesarily complicated. But honestly, if editing old text is a waist of free time, then don't even bother making changes to the already translated text.

Ayu asks if she and Yuuchi will need a 'spade' to search for something she lost rather than a 'shovel'. Unless it is another English-English word, doesn't it sound strange coming from someone who didn't know what a mistress was? Then again, Ayu did understand what a defaulter was...

K
2004-08-21, 14:37
Spade is pretty simple... and the "mistress" bit is just because Haeleth couldn't think of something better (no offense intended in any way).

Anyhow, we could probably save editing the already-done parts for once the project is completed >_>

JudicatorOmega
2004-08-21, 15:49
*point well taken*

Ah ok, I'll save it for after the translation is done. But I have something very very important now. In the first day where Sayuri invites you to have lunch with her and Mai: Yuuchi, relating his story, says "Mine hostesses plonk themselves down with the slightest regards to dignity" or something simular to that. I'm not the English expert here, but don't you mean 'My' hostesses? Using the word 'mine' sounds either wrong or a very elegant way of saying things.

Sorry about all the posts in one day, but I would imagine that this kind of feedback is usefull.

K
2004-08-21, 20:38
I think he's trying to be ironic, but... meh, I wouldn't know there ^_^;

Haeleth
2004-08-22, 03:58
No need to save commenting on things till the project is completed - I'm editing as I go along anyway. And it's very useful to know where people are finding things difficult.

Spade is the usual word in British English.

As for "mine hostesses", K is basically right. "Mine host" is a literary set phrase used typically for the landlord of an inn, and following it with a homely word like "plonk" conveys, through bathos (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bathos), that Sayuri, while very well bred, is still just a schoolgirl. At least, that's what I'd say if I were writing a report on it for a literature class. ;)

As a total aside, does anyone happen to know any good websites about the differences between British and American English? Long word lists would be a plus. I really think I ought to try to learn more about the subject.

Aldareon
2004-08-22, 16:09
Hmm .. looks like my interpretation of circular was pretty off!

Anyhow, just went googling and I found this (http://esl.about.com/library/weekly/aa110698.htm)

The article speaks about the main differences between the two, but the best part is the link (http://esl.about.com/library/vocabulary/blbritam.htm) at the bottom. It's a list of American<->British vocabulary. Pretty cool stuff!

K
2004-08-23, 17:33
"Condom" is a British American word? Gee, and it's so widely used here, too...

Anyhow, take a look here too.
http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/american.html

procyon
2004-08-23, 21:16
"Condom" is a British American word? Gee, and it's so widely used here, too...

Anyhow, take a look here too.
http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/american.html

I'm not so sure about some of the entries on the first list either. The second list looks slightly better (and doesn't have that stupid javascript interface either).

As for the translation of Kanon, I enjoy the British English Haeleth is using, and think he should stick with it. It gives the translation a bit of flavor for an American like me.

It also reminds me of the times when I was younger and lived in Hong Kong (back when it was a colony).

JudicatorOmega
2004-08-23, 21:42
Oh My Gooses! All Hell ... Has Broken Loose!

They have just insulted me: No child should ever be asked "Have your finished your homework yet?"

Is it Bananas in Pyjamas (http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00004UA82.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg) or Bananas in Pajamas (http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6303966276.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg) ???

If I see anyone spell "tire" as "tyre", I will be sure to point and laugh at them.

K
2004-08-24, 14:32
Those bananas are eerie.

JudicatorOmega
2004-08-24, 15:09
On the same day that Akiko tries to get you to taste that Mystery Jam, Yuuchi goes to lunch with Sayuri and Mai and says something about not wanting to be "churlish" in complaining that Mai's tea cup already had a little tea in it.

Its probably not a problem, but the word "churlish" is such a strange word, that it was included as a joke in Space Quest 6 (http://www.adventurecollective.com/reviews/sq6.htm), where some kind of robot thug puts a bad chip titled "churlish" into his neck and breaks down. I don't think many people were meant to understand that word unless they looked for it in the dictionary. I myself had to look it up while playing Kanon ^_^.

JudicatorOmega
2004-08-24, 16:15
Oh, and umm... On that same night, when returning from the school. Yuuchi sees the girls having a good time watching television, then he remembers about Orpheus and shudders.

Orpheus: The mortal in Greek Mythology who could sing so beautiful as to make the trees move and the make rocks soften up? Could you please make a note to explain this? I don't know very much about mythology.

Haeleth
2004-08-25, 01:51
Orpheus: The mortal in Greek Mythology who could sing so beautiful as to make the trees move and the make rocks soften up?
That's the one. The relevant part of the myth is that he died by being torn to pieces by a horde of angry women. ;)

JudicatorOmega
2004-08-25, 20:23
I notice on the coming of age day, that Ayu says she is still looking for something that she lost, but I see a line where her name is actualy missing and there are no quotes: ---- I'm looking for something I lost.

I got to the point in Mai's scenario where it wasn't english anymore. I didn't actualy want to stay on Mai's scenario, but I somehow ended up heading in that direction because I didn't decide to leave her be. Its amazing that I never saw Ayu again after that Coming-Of-Age Day since we had such a fun day. Too bad it doesn't all fit in like the anime series.

I also notice in Mai's scenario another mythology refference to Sayuri's Achillies heel being Mai. Achillies? The Greek war hero who was dipped by the heel in a river to become imortal everywhere except for that one foot? The same name as seen on the Led Zeppelin (http://www.led-zeppelin.org/) website? Now I'm really confused on how that can possibly relate to Sayuri and Mai.

By the way, where did Shiori go? Am I supposed to avoid Ayu or Nayuki to get Shiori to show up more than 3 times? Nayuki left too, but who even cares about that?[/jk]

zalas
2004-08-25, 20:40
I think it's to indicate that Mai's only weakness is Sayuri. That is, she's hardened against everything, except for what Sayuri does or what is done to Sayuri. That's my interpretation.

Haeleth
2004-08-26, 04:05
I see a line where her name is actualy missing and there are no quotes: ---- I'm looking for something I lost.
That's correct - it's like that in the original. Yuuichi is remembering something she said previously.

Its amazing that I never saw Ayu again after that Coming-Of-Age Day since we had such a fun day.
Ayu does show up again in Mai's scenario, just not in the translated section. The same goes for Nayuki.

I also notice in Mai's scenario another mythology refference to Sayuri's Achillies heel being Mai. ... Now I'm really confused on how that can possibly relate to Sayuri and Mai.
Zalas is right (except he's got them the wrong way round :p).
It's a metaphor for a critical weakness (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Achilles%20heel). This is actually a literal translation - in the Japanese Mai is described as Sayuri's "Akiresu-ken" (Achilles tendon).

By the way, where did Shiori go? Am I supposed to avoid Ayu or Nayuki to get Shiori to show up more than 3 times?
You were locked out of Shiori's scenario the moment you met Mai, for the simple reason that knowing both girls would mean you had to be in two places at once every lunchtime! How does the anime cope with that?

zalas
2004-08-26, 13:40
Oops, I must have read the sentence backwards >,<
As for the anime, I believe they had Yuuichi showing up sometimes at Mai+Sayuri's Lunch Special, but I don't remember him being with Shiori that much.