PDA

View Full Version : RIP Aldhelm

Haeleth
2004-07-18, 07:51
Aldhelm, my loyal hard disk, passed away yesterday in the early hours of the morning after a short illness. He was survived by several gigabytes of backups. The funeral will be held on Tuesday at South Bristol Crematorium; family flowers only please.

While I had backups of all my important data (unlike some in the scene), I have lost a few emails from the last week or so. If anyone sent me anything important recently, you're unlikely to get a reply unless you send another copy!

AzureLight
2004-07-18, 09:41
Condolences.

南無阿弥陀仏。

adun50
2004-07-18, 16:02
most unfortunate, do rest in peace Aldhelm

bbcjoke
2004-07-19, 04:58
Don't feel sorry for him, I'm sure he fulfilled his purpose in this world.

AnimeOtakuSama
2004-07-19, 06:58
My Sympathies..

I have seen a number of hard drives pass away named and unnamed, everytime time they do, it hurts more than the last..I feel your pain..

At least Aldhelm recieved a name, I'm sure he was happy to be of service to you..

May Aldhelm find peace in the next world..

Weave
2004-07-19, 21:34
We never know when our time, or the time of our beloved HDD will come. So remember to backup, or atleast have nothing too important on your computer (yeah right).

Aldareon
2004-07-20, 18:23
Just out of curiosity, how long did Aldhelm serve before finally applying for retirement?

I still keep an old drive from the early pentium eras (about 10 years ago) which continues to prove its loyalty to me. I have a feeling it's about to apply for it's long service leave soon ~_~

Haeleth
2004-07-21, 03:38
Just two years. But then it was an IBM Deathstar, I'm probably lucky it lasted that long...

Relieved postscript: while Windows was no longer able to boot with Aldhelm connected, I managed to regain access through Linux (Knoppix is worth its weight in gold!), enabling me to recover the last few items I thought I'd lost, including those recent emails.

Aldareon
2004-07-21, 06:18
Ah yes .. IBM. Notorious for producing erroneous HDDs. The drive still ran .. so the cause of death was more like alzheimers? Just started having bad clusters and forgetting bits here and there (no pun intended ^_^).

I was lucky that when I got an IBM Aptiva a few years back I was given a quantum fireball instead of the standard IBM stuff. It's still working, but I've since placed it as a secondary drive just to be on the safe side.

Linux is cool .. my only gripe is when the computer does an improper shutdown and Linux tries to repair the inconsistencies. In my case if I choose to try a repair I always end up with some important files being missing or corrupt, forcing me to redo the entire linux installation.

Haeleth
2004-07-21, 11:33
The main symptom is going "Click...beep! Click...click...click...beep!" constantly, and sometimes hanging the computer for several minutes while clicking away all the time. Sounds like a faulty bearing or something. At any rate, it's quite unusable now (Windows even BSODs if I try to boot with it connected), even though most of the data still seems to be okay...

And it's all because IBM outsourced their hard drive assembly to a dodgy factory in Hungary. Grrr.

K
2004-07-21, 15:22
Named hard drives, huh?

My external hard drive is called BIG149, because it's (physically) big and has 149 gigs of space.

I'm weird.

Anyhow, sorry about your HD man.

Talbain
2004-07-21, 17:17
My hard drive's call C:\

=)

Soulfang
2004-07-21, 17:28
I named mine Naglfar and Reginleif :)

zalas
2004-07-21, 19:02
The main symptom is going "Click...beep! Click...click...click...beep!" constantly, and sometimes hanging the computer for several minutes while clicking away all the time. Sounds like a faulty bearing or something. At any rate, it's quite unusable now (Windows even BSODs if I try to boot with it connected), even though most of the data still seems to be okay...
Wait, is the hard drive itself beeping or is the computer beeping? I didn't think hard drives had speakers...
I'm still wondering what I should be doing about one of my "dead" harddrives. It seems as if the voltage comparator for the hard drive relay is shot, because when it turns on, it'll spin up and then click as if the power had been turned off, turns on, spins up again, etc.

darkdrago
2004-07-22, 08:33
well I know one of the problems with the deathstars (60 and 80 gb models at least) had the whole problem with overheating them the heads (I think thats the name of them) on the hard drive would get stuck against the platters. I believe the clicking sounds were cause of the heads trying to put themselves basically in the positiont hey are supposed to start off in. I know on my old deathstars putting them in the freezer for bout an hour or so (of course in a bag) would help you get some life out of the drives. there is also a firmware update out somewhere for certain versions of the deathstars that is supposed to help.

Tabi
2004-07-23, 07:00
Loads of my friends always named their computers... I never quite got into that, though I do like renaming the individual drives XD. I used to have one with two separate gigabytes so I called one Tai and one Matt (Digimon obsession) then Marron and Carrot (Sorcerer Hunters obsession)... now I'm on a computer I just named the drive Marron, because I'm predictable like that ^o^

Eden
2004-07-23, 08:06
Loads of my friends always named their computers... I never quite got into that, though I do like renaming the individual drives XD. I used to have one with two separate gigabytes so I called one Tai and one Matt (Digimon obsession)

My laptop is named Digi-Port ^^; I liked season two better...

May your hard drive rest in peace, which is better than mine that rests in pieces on my shelf right now...

Haeleth
2004-07-23, 11:35
Loads of my friends always named their computers... I never quite got into that
It's not really something you can avoid if you're on a network. ;)

I adopted a simple naming convention to make life easier - I name computers after Saxon kings (currently Cynewulf), and hard disks after writers (currently Athelweard, son of Aldhelm, son of Aelfric, son of Caedmon). Although if I lose many more hard disks I may have to move on to saints...

Stranger
2004-07-23, 23:19
The only computer I named was my dead notebook (Script, died few years back, well the power adapter died, and I haven't been able to find a replicment for the AST power adapter), and since then haven't named another computer (off the network), I already have a name for my next notebook though (SpiritSeeker). But I named and still call my chair in the office "Kogada", and my co-workers already call it that too.

Oh well... any way, are you sure your HDD is dead??!! I have some expirince in the the office where a HDD beheave to MS Windows as dead, but will work fine with Knoppix. Usely Knoppix is used with those drivers to take backup (to another HDD or external CD-Writer), then do a low lever format on the HDD. After that MS Windows will work fine again.

P.S. "Kogada" is a Kii-Swahilli word, I think it means "stowl" or something like that ( I was told that it is small thing that people in Africa use to sit on, not a full chair, and not complitly on the ground, I've never seen one to desrip it, but the word "Kogada" for some resone stuck in my head and then I decided to use it to call my chair ).

Talbain
2004-07-24, 00:08
I always liked saints... hehe. =D

HisuiIBMPower4
2004-07-25, 16:43
Haeleth,you are really interesting. You are the first people I saw naming his/her hdd

adun50
2004-07-25, 22:15
Haeleth,you are really interesting. You are the first people I saw naming his/her hdd

uuummm, alot of people do this, just for the sake of simplicity and for use over a network. within a few months i'll be doing so as i'll have a home file server running (hopefully)

Talbain
2004-07-26, 01:04
I had a home file server... hope you don't have SBC... they suck. (In service in general)