PDA

View Full Version : Estimated Time of Arrival

Articflame
2004-04-22, 14:01
Any estimates as to when the kannon patch will be out? I could tell u been very busy lately, but I am sure we all would like to know the status of the patch.

Haeleth
2004-04-22, 15:10
Impossible to say, I'm afraid. It depends on a number of things, not all of which are under my control. If I run into many more difficulties with the installer, things might still slip very badly.

I've already told various people "end of April", and I'm trying to stick to that if possible, but I hope people will understand why I don't want to make any promises. ^^;

Aldareon
2004-04-26, 04:50
It seems that the translation project become more and more difficult the farther you go. Just out of curiosity, is it because of the technical problems with the game (like crc checksum errors or other incompatibilities) or is it in the packaging of the newly translated stuff for the installer?

Haeleth
2004-04-26, 06:20
It's the packaging.

Basically, the installer has to detect and handle whatever version of the game the user has installed - that includes whether they've installed a previous version of my translation, any of the various voice patches, avgcensor, or either of Key's official upgrade patches for the all-age version.

It turns out that it's possible to reduce this to a mere twelve variations on the main patch, although things are rather more complicated where saved game conversions are concerned; for saved games I'm having to take the line that anyone who does weird stuff can expect to have to start over, because life's too short to handle every possible contingency...

Anyway, it has to be able to do all this reliably not only on any version of Windows that runs Kanon, but preferably also on Linux and MacOS X.

Which is why it might end up taking a little longer, although I'm still hoping it won't. ;)

Blackavar
2004-04-26, 20:48
Just out of curiosity (and a burning desire to figure out what happens next *coughcough*), have you thought about having the script available before the patch, much like how the Air scripts were up before the translation patches (as I recall)?

Stranger
2004-04-27, 21:01
although things are rather more complicated where saved game conversions are concerned; for saved games I'm having to take the line that anyone who does weird stuff can expect to have to start over, because life's too short to handle every possible contingency...
considering that I am one of those that take weird options, that make's a bit worried.

Any way, it is not very clear to me what is the problem your having with the save file. But how about letting the patch make a backup copy of the SAVE.INI then tell the user that if s/he start the game after patching, and does NOT find his/her saved games, then s/he should just rename the old SAVE.INI. (whoever can download the patch, extract it and install it, should be abel to rename a file.... I hope).

Haeleth
2004-05-01, 09:16
Okay, looks like the "end of April" date has been missed... ]誠に申し訳御座いません!

Please be patient a little longer. I swear here and now that even once my copy of Clannad arrives, I won't play it for more than an hour a day until I've released the next Kanon patch.

Articflame
2004-05-03, 13:20
Can we make the new release date Memorial day?

Haeleth
2004-05-03, 14:23
When's that?

K
2004-05-03, 14:30
How about we forget release dates and just have the patch released as soon as possible? Release dates just put pressure on Haeleth and disappoint people when they're missed.

Stranger
2004-05-03, 20:59
the whole project is for fun so why bother with release dates??!!!

any way, Haeleth did you get your copy of Clannad yet?? it should have arrived by now... so what can you tell us about it... (espicaly CG wise).

have fun... and don't worry about dead lines.... I never worry about dead line... and that does get me into hot water once in a while :-)

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-03, 22:00
and the possible April release date has come and gone. not complaining or anything just stating the obvious. it is what i do best. i think it is almost a year now since the last release. we should have a party or something to commemorate it. hehe. and yes tell us About Clannad. the reddish/brown haired girl is cute ^^

K
2004-05-04, 12:18
Clannad character page, translated by Haeleth (thanks again):
http://haeleth.net/temp/clannad_chars.html

Haeleth
2004-05-06, 06:18
Whoa, tomorrow's the anniversary of the last version of the patch. I can't believe it's been a year already!

So here's a progress report: most of the technical issues have been solved (in theory, I haven't tested anything yet). I'm not going to be getting the next patch out this week, but it really won't be much longer now, honest. Your patience is appreciated. ^^;

Update update: debugging debugging. I've got the PACLIB archive patcher working properly at last. If you want to know who to blame for the delays, it's the author of libbzip2, for the most inadequate and in places plain wrong documentation I've ever seen in a popular library. Here's a hint, Mr Seward: if people have to dig into your source code to figure out what an error value really means, there's something wrong. Grrr.

AnimeOtakuSama
2004-05-06, 10:40
Whoa, tomorrow's the anniversary of the last version of the patch. I can't believe it's been a year already!

So here's a progress report: most of the technical issues have been solved (in theory, I haven't tested anything yet). I'm not going to be getting the next patch out this week, but it really won't be much longer now, honest. Your patience is appreciated. ^^;

Take all the time you need, im sure there are people that want this patch out also, but as they say "Haste makes Waste". Release the patch only when you feel its good and ready, some people just dont understand the pain of taking on such a huge task, solo too!!!! O_O

Ganbatte!! ^_^

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-10, 00:05
yeah, like i said no hurry just wanted to point out the anniversary. we should have had a party

neootaku
2004-05-11, 13:21
Well this is my first time on the Fourm, and I have been checking the website for updates for a while now. I was worried that the project had been abandoned! Well i'm very happy to see that its alive and kicking. Keep up the good work Haeleth.

Haeleth
2004-05-13, 13:27
we should have had a party
Save that for when the patch actually comes out. ;)

Shouldn't be much longer... the installer seems to be working pretty well now (no thanks to Microsoft, I hate Windows programming), so I've just got to get the text into a presentable state...

adun50
2004-05-14, 00:12
YAY!! first post by me *decided to stop lurking*. yes a party when the patch is released, what shall we have?? hhhmmm

Haeleth
2004-05-14, 01:06
yes a party when the patch is released, what shall we have?? hhhmmm
I was thinking taiyaki, nikuman, ice-cream, strawberries, gyuudon, and maybe some of Akiko's special jam...?

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-14, 01:56
does anyone know what is in that Jam? ohh time for new Topic.

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-14, 23:56
maybe we should also have pizza. you gotta love Pizza mate. ^^

adun50
2004-05-15, 00:00
well for the people 18+ how about some sake?? can't go wrong with some warm sake

Haeleth
2004-05-15, 02:25
I'm afraid the only thing Kanon has to say about sake is
わたし、お酒なんか飲んでないよ・・・
So if you want drinks, I guess we'll have to add an AIR theme too. That gives us Haruko's sake and Misuzu's jelly juice... and how about some Potato chips? (laughs evilly)

Weave
2004-05-15, 02:45
Yeah, a party'd be nice, shame we alll live in other parts of the world and all. But, sure, I'll party with ya'll anyday.

hmmm, potatoe chips........yum.

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-15, 09:32
i wish i played air. i need t get it.

K
2004-05-15, 20:18
If you can read Japanese, go ahead and get it and Clannad. If not, get only Clannad, it has nicer pictures ^_^;

Blackavar
2004-05-16, 06:32
But on the other hand, at least there's a partial translation for Air out... (Of course, doing that'll just put you into the same boat as Kanon, eagerly awaiting the next patch...

AnimeOtakuSama
2004-05-16, 18:43
But on the other hand, at least there's a partial translation for Air out... (Of course, doing that'll just put you into the same boat as Kanon, eagerly awaiting the next patch...

That is , so EVILY true, of those which are eagerly awaiting Haeleth's next patch, most of us are playing the old patch thru and thru, while having nitemares of what will happen next.....T_T...I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep ever since 31\/L Haeleth first released the kanon patch.....>_<

Those that have been caught up in Kanon's addicitve presence, we have no choice but to stalk Haeleth to his door step and haunt him for the next patch...... XD

P.S - I have lost much hair, health, and sleep, due to the 31\/L4355 of this patch ^_^ ......*Goes back to Zombie Kanon Fanboy Haeleth Stalking Mode*.....Need more Kanon.....

Haeleth
2004-05-17, 05:34
Maybe I shouldn't have started along the partial patch route; it's giving people a distorted view of the game, having to play it in such a stop-start way. Ah well, too late to change that now... I expect if I announced "no more releases till it's done", I really would wake up tomorrow to find my house besieged by an angry horde of zombie Kanon fanboys...

But now I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. If you think you hate me now, just wait till you see what sort of cliffhanger the next patch leaves you on! Ugu~, I'm going to be lynched whatever I do... (;_;)

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-17, 07:57
lol, well Haeleth. just release the patch and hope to god we love you enough for a few months before we kill ya. ^^ anyway. the ONE thing bugging me about Kanon is for some strange reason... I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE CD SHOP!!! Wierd huh? all i seem to care about is the CD shop part of the thursday we are all stuck on. I AM GOING INSANE

Weave
2004-05-17, 17:12
of all the things to get hung up on, you picked the CD shop....

I hate it for you when the next patch comes out and you get REAL suspense.

*edited cause I can't speel rite.

K
2004-05-17, 17:13
lol, well Haeleth. just release the patch and hope to god we love you enough for a few months before we kill ya. ^^ anyway. the ONE thing bugging me about Kanon is for some strange reason... I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE CD SHOP!!! Wierd huh? all i seem to care about is the CD shop part of the thursday we are all stuck on. I AM GOING INSANE

Cliffhanger? You mean the tree part? I thought that was near the end...

I can't think of any other cliffhangers in Kanon though ^_^;

I still think the "one path at a time" way is the best, but we'll talk about that when the patch is out, I guess...

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-18, 00:04
what i meant by cliffhanger is that i want to know about Nayuki and Yuiichi's trip to find said shop. but i know the basic path through the story because i own the Kanon series. and i love it ^^.

adun50
2004-05-18, 06:13
what i meant by cliffhanger is that i want to know about Nayuki and Yuiichi's trip to find said shop. but i know the basic path through the story because i own the Kanon series. and i love it ^^.

yeah that's the thing about the TV series, it having skipped many aspects of the game but i don't mind. it's equal first with Da Capo on my top anime list.

as for the cliffhangers, i'm now curious as to what Haeleth has planned for the next patch

Haeleth
2004-05-18, 06:37
as for the cliffhangers, i'm now curious as to what Haeleth has planned for the next patch
It ends on January 24th for Shiori's scenario and January 22nd for Mai's... what you might call rather tense moments.

Stranger
2004-05-19, 05:23
It ends on January 24th for Shiori's scenario and January 22nd for Mai's... what you might call rather tense moments.
ya ya... Shiori and Mai... who cares..... but you did finish Nayuki's scenario... right (Stranger prepare some of his evile jetsus while waiting for the answer)

Weave
2004-05-19, 05:26
I guess I'm the reason Makoto's scenario's only going to day 22. I apologize. I'm such a horrible translator I swear.

But to all those Makoto fans, I'm sorry, I'll get on it pronto!

Haeleth
2004-05-19, 07:57
Actually Makoto's scenario is only going on to the 19th, so it's nothing to do with you. It's more that her scenario breaks away from the main path several days before anyone else's, so there's more unique Makoto text to translate... and she doesn't have the Mai or Shiori factor to compel me to work harder on her story. :p

For completeness, I'll add that Nayuki and Ayu are currently finishing on the 20th. Sorry Stranger. ;)

*Climbs back into military helicopter, flanked by bodyguards, and departs for "undisclosed location"*

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-19, 11:14
this is all fine and dandy but... RELEASE THE PATCH PLEASE!!!

Haeleth
2004-05-19, 12:39
Hai, hai... nearly there, honest... you don't want it to come with a deadly bug that reformats your hard disk now, do you? :p

K
2004-05-19, 12:55
If it's deadly, it reformats your hard disk and kills you? Ouch.

We're waiting, take your time ^_^;

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-19, 14:43
lol, i have had that happen to me before. not too fun really

procyon
2004-05-19, 18:44
Hai, hai... nearly there, honest... you don't want it to come with a deadly bug that reformats your hard disk now, do you? :p

Actually, I'm very impressed that you're making a nice installer that tries to figure out what version of kanon we've got and patches the existing system.

If it were me doing this, I'd just release a new script, and make everyone use diff or something to integrate it into their setup.

Keep up the good work!

Weave
2004-05-19, 18:54
Well, the Boss is a perfectionist. If he just wanted to throw everything together haphazardly we'd already have Kanon finished, but it would look somethng like this.

Nayuki "What happen?"
Yuuichi "Some girl set up me to hit"
Akito "Futon turn on"
Nayuki "For great

.....well you get the picture.

K
2004-05-20, 12:24
Nayuki "What happen?"
Yuuichi "Some girl set up me to hit"
Akito "Futon turn on"
Nayuki "For great

Haha. I wouldn't mind having a version of Kanon like that, although the entertainment wouldn't last too long.

Haeleth
2004-05-20, 15:15
Well, for that there's always Kanoso (http://www.cokage.ne.jp/~hiiragi/), the (in)famous Kanon parody; it only has one joke, which is funny for about five minutes, and then the game rapidly starts getting nasty, so I can't exactly recommend it, but everyone should at least have played the prologue...

zalas
2004-05-20, 20:29
I remember that game. I died many times in that prologue section. I wonder if it's even possible to localize that game. It would be like a nightmare hehe.

K
2004-05-21, 12:12
If a joke is funny for five minutes it's gotta be a good one.

But the site is in Japanese x_x

Haeleth
2004-05-21, 12:52
So's the game, I'm afraid. ;)

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-22, 01:49
Evul Haeleth EVULLLL

Keisuke
2004-05-23, 01:03
Ahhhh Kanoso...

The game that people can feel the TRUE POWER of Ak-Demon (especially in 64)...