PDA

View Full Version : Clannad OP

Ace_Starleaf
2004-04-08, 09:21
Just a note, NNL is translating the OP, they hope to be done by the end on the month

www.nnl1.com

Haeleth
2004-04-08, 13:56
I wish them luck with the Gaelic parts...

Weave
2004-04-12, 09:22
There's Gaelic in Megumeru?

your kidding right?
please....

Haeleth
2004-04-12, 10:17
Apparently the words that accompany the pan over the empty classroom (just before the bit about 冷たい朝の日) are Gaelic for "island of joy". I don't know anyone who knows Gaelic, so I've no idea whether it's true, but it sounds plausible.

Weave
2004-04-12, 15:00
ok, been going over it all night trying to find it even before you replied and your right. That bit during the classroom doesn't sound Japanese.

it goes: "we spe li di"

There is another part at the end that repeats but then goes on after that. I have a friend who knows alittle but I'm not that good of a "by the ear" translator.

island of joy........hmmm

Haeleth
2004-04-13, 03:59
Oops, my bad. I finally found the source of that comment — Riya in the liner notes to the euphonius album — and the thing that's supposed to mean "island of joy" is the word メグメル itself.

As for the chorus, apparently it's made-up words, not Gaelic... ^^;

Weave
2004-04-13, 06:24
Ok.
I was wondering about the title since it didn't pop up in any of the dictionary's I own. Maybe the fact that it was in Katakana should have tipped me off, but I'm slow like that...

You positive thats just babble during the pan? Sounds alittle fishy to have non-Japanese just thrown in there that aren't even real words.
When I buy the CD I'll give it a good look.

Amazon.JP is selling the game for cheap if your wondering. There's even a bundle of Aruruu no Soba and Clannad that only cost about a $100, give or take shipping.

I'd buy it, but I haven't even finished Air yet, and I don't need anymore distarctions if I'm to translate seriously. Speaking of which, time to hit the books.

Ja

Haeleth
2004-04-13, 09:44
You positive thats just babble during the pan? Sounds a little fishy to have non-Japanese just thrown in there that aren't even real words.
It's a bit odd, but... well, let's have it in the words of Riya herself (the song's lyricist and vocalist), quoted from the group's homepage at eufonius.net - this is the bit from the liner notes I mentioned:

riya: メグメルとは。
kiku: なんぞや
riya: keyのシナリオライター麻枝さんと一緒に決めたんだけど、ゲール語で「よろこびのしま」という意味。
kiku: でした
kiku: 詩の内容とはあまり関係無いような気もしますが
riya: 歌詞中の「君」が待ってる場所としてはいいのでは、って事で。
kiku: ああ~なるほど
kiku: 深~ぇ・・・
riya: 歌詞自体はゲームの内容とはどうかな、という感じですが、多少沿っている程度で。
riya: まんまCLANNADの事は歌っていない。
riya: そしてコーラスではまた造語使っちまいました。
kiku: ああ~、造語。
riya: まあ、もうeufoとかでは定着してるので。他の言葉(英語)なんか無理だし…。
kiku: この曲はeufoniusを幅広く知っていただくきっかけになるかもしれませんね
riya: そうだなあ、そうなるといいなあ。

<small>Rough translation:
riya: So, about Megumeru.
kiku: What does it mean?
riya: I picked it together with Maeda-san, Key's scenario writer... it means "Isle of joy" in Gaelic.
kiku: I see. So it doesn't really have much to do with the contents of the song then...
riya: I guess we could say it was where the "you" of the lyrics is waiting, or something like that.
kiku: Ah, I see! Deeep...
riya: I don't even really know whether the lyrics have anything to do with the game... except tenuously. I'm really not singing about CLANNAD at all. And then I went and used made-up words again in the chorus...
kiku: Ah, they're made-up...
riya: Well, we're still working to establish "eufo". And other languages (English) are hard...
kiku: I guess this could be the song that gets eufonius famous, couldn't it?
riya: Yeah, that would be nice...</small>

I may be misinterpreting 造語, and I'm not sure how best to translate 「もうeufoとかでは定着してるので」, but I think she's saying it's nonsense.

Weave
2004-04-13, 14:05
As if translating isn't hard enough, they have to go and start makiing words up. I swear.....

Proton
2004-04-29, 21:44
This is the first time that I post a message here. How do you all do?
I'm posting this from Japan. Clannad is cool. Kotomi is cute.

Now, Professor Haeleth, I was impressed by your great project of translating Kanon all out.
You've already got an profound knowledge of languages, but I can speak and write Japanese as mother tongue, and I believe I can give you some useful suggestions.

I may be misinterpreting 造語, and I'm not sure how best to translate 「もうeufoとかでは定着してるので」, but I think she's saying it's nonsense.

You interpreted 造語 correctly.
The phrase 「もう…定着してる」 means has already been established, so this sentence is subjectless. The implicit subject is 造語を使うこと.
「ので」 means because. 「eufo」 sounds like simply an abbreviation of eufonis. 「とか」 can be translated like or others or and so on.
Therefore, the line in question can be paraphrased like:

Well, because using made-up words has already been a established technique in eufonis or other groups.

How about that?

Haeleth
2004-04-30, 01:29
Ahh, thanks, that makes sense! ~ている describing state always catches me out. ^^;;

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-03, 23:04
I WANT TO READ AND WRITE IN JAPANESE!!! *studies faster*

K
2004-05-04, 13:16
I WANT TO READ AND WRITE IN JAPANESE SO I CAN UNDERSTAND THE TEXT IN CLANNAD!!!

...Damn, I don't know why I got that game when I can't read any of the text ^_^;