PDA

View Full Version : Current status of Kanon?

K
2004-03-21, 14:56
Don't take this as pressure to release a patch or to rush progress or anything... It's just that there hasn't been a status update on the main page in a long while and I'm kinda curious as to how things are going ^_^;

Asmadi
2004-03-21, 16:06
*ahem*

As quoted from the Kanon Project info page...

Project status

As of mid-March 2004, the translation is approaching the 50% mark.

*glances at Pita-Ten desktop calendar*

yep, its close to mid march...

Thank you for playing.

Haeleth
2004-03-21, 17:34
Well... to be fair, that's not the main page... maybe I should think about putting updates in a more obvious place... ^^;

A~nyway, I'm hoping to get the next patch out before Clannad takes over my life, so we're talking within a month if all goes well.

ChronoReverse
2004-03-21, 18:29
Quick, we must send ninjas to swipe Haeleth's copy of Clannad and bring it to m.. erm, just the first part. Yeah, swipe Haeleth's copy of Clannad so he'd work on Kanon, heh heh.

Anyways, don't knock yourself out. 50%... wow when I think about how much text there is in Kanon, 50% feels like a lot of Japanese translated into British english, hehe.

Asmadi
2004-03-21, 19:03
And we must not forget that British english is fun fun fun... ^.^

K
2004-03-22, 13:53
I don't see how it's a big difference between that and American English ^_^;

Anyhow... sorry I wasn't observant enough, I've been on the project page before, too... dunno how I missed it x_x

Aldareon
2004-03-22, 16:43
Mwahahahah! It looks like the American vs Brit discussion has begun to flare up again ~_~

Quoting ryoko from a previous topic:
once i have Spanish and Japanese down, my dad is already starting to teach mt tongalogue. spoken in the phillipines. hehe i love Languages ^^

I was sure that was spelt as tagalog. I can speak that language fluently since it's my mother tongue. Similar to spanish in a way. I tried learning my dad's dialect (Ilonggo) by picking up a book in a foreign bookstore during my visit to melbourne. Imagine my dissapointment when I realized Illongo and Ilocano were two totally different dialects. Anyhow, I tried learning it and tested my knowledge against my gramma, who happens to speak it as her mother tongue and she said she thought I was speaking chinese!

K
2004-03-22, 17:03
Let's not go too off-topic here... if you want, start a new topic ^_^;

Haeleth, do you think it'd be useful to take a page off the Air Translation Project and translate Kanon one story branch at a time? Then we can play all the way through one scenario, at least, which is more... "filling" in some ways than only being able to go through part of the game, since otherwise you miss the interesting bits of the plot...

Haeleth
2004-03-22, 17:40
Haeleth, do you think it'd be useful to take a page off the Air Translation Project and translate Kanon one story branch at a time?
The problem with that is, in which order? If I say "okay, from now on I'm going to concentrate on the girls in such-and-such an order", and it turns out that the order I've chosen puts whichever of the girls is your favourite last, you might not think it sounded such a good idea any more. ;)

Basically it seems to me that the status quo will upset everyone equally a little, whereas while concentrating on the girls one at a time will upset fewer people, it'll upset them a lot more... and hell hath no fury like a Nayuki fan who's just discovered where I rank her. :p

That, at any rate, is the reasoning behind my approach. I'd be interested to know what other people actually think.

(The other thing is that I like having the option of switching to a different story whenever I get stuck. Makoto and Mai are particularly bad at suddenly throwing in something obscure... it's quite nice to be able to go and translate some Shiori for a while when that happens!)

Stranger
2004-03-22, 21:40
and hell hath no fury like a Nayuki fan who's just discovered where I rank her. :p
Alright Mr. Hero... you are treading on dangrous grounds here... so watch it :-)

Haeleth, do you think it'd be useful to take a page off the Air Translation Project and translate Kanon one story branch at a time?

As Haeleth-san said, that make the player play with the translator's favourt first. Which might not be your favourt. And there is also the danger of the translator finnishing *his* girl first, then leave it at that. (Another place in the forum, say's something about "Mizuiro" translation sticking you to one girl... you wana the same thing for AIR??).

Any way... the current approach taken by Haeleth-san is the best approach. It might be slow on updates, and lots of more work, but when you get it, you know that you are FREE to make whatever chooice you want with whoever you want.

K
2004-03-23, 14:11
The problem with that is, in which order? If I say "okay, from now on I'm going to concentrate on the girls in such-and-such an order", and it turns out that the order I've chosen puts whichever of the girls is your favourite last, you might not think it sounded such a good idea any more. ;)

That's okay, I like them all ^_^;

But you're right, some people might not like that...

Any way... the current approach taken by Haeleth-san is the best approach. It might be slow on updates, and lots of more work, but when you get it, you know that you are FREE to make whatever chooice you want with whoever you want.

You can make whatever choice you want, but no matter what you do you'll inevitably end up in Japanese-text-land. That's what I don't like. At least if one story branch is totally translated, there'll be a choice that gets you English text through the whole game.

That, and since the translation will soon(?) be at 50%, you'll be able to play through to the halfway mark no matter what your choices are.

It's just my opinion though, so feel free to disagree with me ^_^;

Haeleth
2004-03-23, 16:17
Well, I haven't actually decided what to do yet.

Basically, up to around the 40% mark, the structure of the game was such that it would have taken serious effort to isolate a single path. Till around the 19th it's all jumbled together in the same files, all the scenarios sharing common bits of text and so forth. So I haven't had much choice: it would actually have been more work to do them one at a time than all at once. Where I am now, it would indeed be feasible to to them one at a time... the question is whether now, when they're about to be presented with another chunk of the girl of their choice, people would actually thank me for switching the approach.

So I guess what I'll probably do is, when the 50% patch is out, I'll hold a poll of some sort to find out how many people actually care one way or another.

And if enough people vote for Shiori I'll translate her first, otherwise I'll ignore the results. (j/k)

procyon
2004-03-23, 18:14
And if enough people vote for Shiori I'll translate her first, otherwise I'll ignore the results. (j/k)

Yay! ;)

Asmadi
2004-03-23, 22:23
As a fellow Shiori fanboy I must support that path:
*stuffs ballot box with Shiori votes*

:p

K
2004-03-24, 14:06
Shiori isn't my fav, but as I said, I like 'em all anyway, so no big deal ^_^

*thumbs up*

We'll wait for the poll, I guess.

AnimeOtakuSama
2004-04-17, 00:55
and hell hath no fury like a Nayuki fan who's just discovered where I rank her. :p

Alright Mr. Hero... you are treading on dangrous grounds here... so watch it :-)

*starts chanting Naiyuki, Naiyuki, Naiyuki.....* >_<

*Rallies up the Naiyuki Fanboys....* XD

Stranger
2004-04-17, 01:11
Alright, another Nayuki supporter

don't worry, the poll should up soon.... right after Haeleth finnish all the girls in Clannad, and get over them.

K
2004-04-17, 18:52
Delayed by Clannad... ouch.

Stranger
2004-04-18, 18:12
by the way, if you play the story of one girl and finnish it. Won't you be cheating of her when you play the story of the next girl??!! :-)

K
2004-04-19, 12:34
Nope. Consider it the next life ^_^;

Stranger
2004-04-19, 20:46
Consider it the next life ^_^;
lOl, that a good one

Weave
2004-04-20, 02:02
"next life"?

never really thought of it like that. Interesting...

I wish Seentexts weren't so freakin long....
I've been hammering on it for a week and I'm not even halfway through.
They're easier than the songs I've been tranx lately though so I shouldn't complain.

Stranger
2004-04-20, 02:21
I wish Seentexts weren't so freakin long....
I've been hammering on it for a week and I'm not even halfway through.

If you are talking about Kanon SEEN file, then good luck. The bloody thing is more 5Mb. I know for a fact the a full novel (like one of the Wheel of Time novel's) is about 1.xx MB as Text format. Going through the files "for a week" and "not even halfway"!! congrate, you just read more then a full english novel in JAPANESE :-)

Weave
2004-04-20, 03:12
by Seentext I mean the files that need tranx'd. Each day for a particular story branch equals one seentext. They are about 12-15 pages long, but luckly consist of short sentences... for the most part.

I'm currently working on a Makoto story arc... which I need to start working on real soon if I want to hit 50% by morning.

Thank God for canned coffee.

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-03, 22:07
i would not mind if i could finish the darn Ayu story. i love Ayu ^^

AnimeOtakuSama
2004-05-04, 06:56
Im sure Naiyuki's arch wouldn't be bad to finish first....^_^

Keep up the great work Haeleth!!!!

K
2004-05-04, 12:15

That's what Haeleth is NOT going to do (that is, the Nayuki arc first, not "keep up the great work"... I hope).

Ayu is my fave too, but I think the Shiori arc is almost as good, so if Haeleth likes that best, well, it's his project ^_^

2004-05-06, 10:29

That's what Haeleth is NOT going to do (that is, the Nayuki arc first, not "keep up the great work"... I hope).

Ayu is my fave too, but I think the Shiori arc is almost as good, so if Haeleth likes that best, well, it's his project ^_^

Although everybody's favorite sword wielding bishoujo - Mai wouldnt be bad either...^_^

Haeleth has my full respect for all this work he's put in, I wouldn't be able to finish even half of it myself.....Haeleth Ganbatte!!!!