PDA

View Full Version : Clannad release date announced!

Haeleth
2004-02-16, 03:04
Clannad will be released on April 28th. 8,800 yen, DVD only, and, as was widely speculated, there will not be an adult version.

It's still unclear whether the game will be voiced or not; I can't find an official statement either way, just rampant speculation.

Bust Nak
2004-02-16, 07:29
Pah, I was just about to post this. Oh well. I definitely want the voiced version. If this isn't it then I guess I will have to wait another 6 months or so.

RyokoTenchi
2004-02-23, 03:32
how much is 8,800 yen in american dollars. i want to buy this game then wait for haeleth to start making a translation for it ^.^

Haeleth
2004-02-23, 03:59
8800 yen is about $80. Handy link: a currency converter (http://www.xe.com/ucc/).

I should probably warn you that even if I do end up translating Clannad, I probably wouldn't start till 2006 or finish till about 2040... ;)

Blackavar
2004-02-23, 04:16
Does this mean the estimated date of completion for your Kanon translation is 2006 too? =)

Haeleth
2004-02-23, 05:29
Does this mean the estimated date of completion for your Kanon translation is 2006 too?

Nope, that's 2005. I was planning to take a week or two off between projects to get some sleep in... :p

Blackavar
2004-02-23, 11:51
*cough* Duke Nuken Forever comes to mind here. =P *ducks!*

But really! Sleep is overrated! Haven't you had the feeling of lying up nights reading? Er...translating? =)

RyokoTenchi
2004-02-24, 02:44
i appreciate the handy link there. and can honestly say that Japanese currency is 0_0!!! thank healeth and i am sure you will translate clannad very well if you decide to.

Haeleth
2004-02-24, 03:16
Incidentally, they just dropped the price to 7500 yen ($70). I doubt anyone's going to complain about that.

Bust Nak
2004-03-22, 02:48
Key has updated their page again. You can see the system requiment for Clannad. Slightly disappointed with 640x480 resolution. Very disppointed with キャラクターボイス(音声)はありません... No voice, what all the space on the DVD being used for?

Haeleth
2004-03-22, 04:14
Hmm, that is a bit disappointing. It definitely seems odd that they're requiring DVD (which many Japanese don't have), while still sticking with such low processor and graphics requirements. I was sure they'd at least have moved up to 800x600... but VisualArt's attitude to high resolution modes is a bit strange (AVG32 version 16 supported 800x600, but the newer version 17 only supported 640x480, and it looks like RealLive is the same).

The only conclusion is that Clannad must have a lot of graphics, for them to fill the quoted 2.5 gigabytes without voices. But at 640x480 even that would require... a lot of images. By comparison, Fate/stay night fits five thousand images into one gigabyte, and about half of those are 800x600...

Asmadi
2004-03-22, 14:55
Or maybe its lots of space in DVD-audio quality music...
Non 800x600 does put quite a damper on my enthusiasm...
As does non voiced...

Maybe it might be better to wait for the console version after all.

Haeleth
2004-03-22, 15:04
Oh, I don't know... the console versions won't be any higher resolution, and as for voice, well, I have no doubt there'll be a voice patch for Clannad within a few weeks of the console release. ^^

There are also a few direct advantages to buying the PC version. For one, you're supporting Key more directly; I imagine the console versions will be like Kanon and AIR, with NEC Interchannel or some such company taking a hefty cut of the profits. For another, it's rather less likely that anyone will translate the console versions, although obviously that only affects non-Japanese speakers. Then of course there's the little issue of getting it several months earlier...

Let's just say I shan't be waiting. ;)

K
2004-03-22, 16:59
If it's a lot of images, it's a lot of game too, right?

I won't buy it until it's at least partially translated, though, since I don't know Japanese at all x_x

...And if it's a big game it's a big script too...

Asmadi
2004-03-22, 17:04
Heh...but buying both the PC version and the Console version just so I can rip the voices will leave a very deep hole in my pocket >.<

Translating isn't a factor (thank you Japanese school)...but yep, the deciding factor right now is wait a few weeks or wait a few months... Himeya better have preorders up soon...

Haeleth
2004-03-22, 17:50
If it's a lot of images, it's a lot of game too, right?
You could say that. I have a vague memory of reading that it's supposed to be more than twice as long as AIR. I'll try and dig up the reference <strike>tomorrow</strike> later today.

Heh...but buying both the PC version and the Console version just so I can rip the voices will leave a very deep hole in my pocket >.<
まぁ、それもそうだけど・・・

But I hope Fuuko-chan doesn't hear you say that, it will make her very sad. ;)

Stranger
2004-03-22, 21:21
humm??!!!... no voice even though it's a DVD.... that is a dispontment for sure. But as Asmadi-san said, it might be all for audio... or in other words 100 different tracks all 5minutes or more long.... still why the hack don't they just make all the audio into ogg and be done with it??!!!

(AVG32 version 16 supported 800x600, but the newer version 17 only supported 640x480, and it looks like RealLive is the same)
I think RealLive does support 800x600, I downloaded a demo for a game last week that used RealLive, and the demo was in 800x600. And as you always said befor, RealLive is more powerful, and I could see that in the demo, which had lots of still images animations and effects.

Any way, don't you have RealLive in any of your other games???... were they all 640x480??... how about ALMA???

The only conclusion is that Clannad must have a lot of graphics, for them to fill the quoted 2.5 gigabytes without voices
ALRIGHT.... now your talking.. any way.. I will be waiting until I can read Japanese befor I try to get Clannad... and hopefully by then things will be more clear.

わたし わ へんたい ない, but still I'd rather get the adult version then the all-ages one....
oh well... for now back to l3d reading.

Horaki
2004-03-23, 00:04
Regardless of the format and quality, I'll just be happy to have Clannad in my hands after waiting all this time. :)

Haeleth
2004-03-23, 02:27
I think RealLive does support 800x600, I downloaded a demo for a game last week that used RealLive, and the demo was in 800x600.
(slaps self round head with 張り扇)
You're right, of course. I carelessly assumed it only handled 640x480 because (a) the "window size" debug menu only went up that high and (b) the old AVG32 syntax for changing screen mode didn't work. It turns out that "640x480" in the menu just means "full size", and there's a less obvious syntax for selecting the screen mode. ^^;

Asmadi
2004-03-23, 22:37
But still, I'm assuming the story line to be pretty long to fill up that much space...

まぁ、それもそうだけど・・・
But I hope Fuuko-chan doesn't hear you say that, it will make her very sad. ;)

きょうちゃんのほうがかわいい・・・

Haeleth
2004-03-24, 02:58
Ufufufu, let the Clannad fanboy wars begin!

きょうちゃんのほうがかわいい・・・
冗談だろ! あんな口の悪い女の子のどこが可愛い?! 名前まで 「凶」 と同音のに・・・

Bust Nak
2004-03-26, 02:00
I'd have to side with the twins too. I just hope Clannad doesn't force me to choose one, or worse, knowing Key they may kill one off! That's how good their games are I guess, knowing I will be an emotional wreck afterward and yet here I am begging for more.

Stranger
2004-03-26, 21:45
WAYYYYYY OF TOPIC.... again.

But if RealLive is made by Key... how come other companies are useing the same engine????... also is there a place where I can download the source for it??? ( I am intreasted in the source for the engine that comes with Clannad ).

Thanks in advance.

Haeleth
2004-03-27, 01:40
I just hope Clannad doesn't force me to choose one, or worse, knowing Key they may kill one off!
(Kanon/AIR spoiler)
Knowing Key, ng yrnfg bar bs gurz jvyy ghea bhg gb unir orra qrnq nyy nybat...

if RealLive is made by Key... how come other companies are useing the same engine????
It isn't, it's made by Visualart's, who license it to a large number of studios (including Key) and normally also publish the games made with it.

... also is there a place where I can download the source for it???
Nope, sadly it's a proprietary engine, no source code or official specs available.

If you're interested, the thread "SEEN.TXT" on this very board contains pretty much all the information on it that's currently publicly available in English.

roxfan
2004-03-28, 07:24
Moonphase has published a mini-interview with Clannad staff:
http://www.moonphase.cc/cgi-bin/news/news.cgi
I leave translation to someone else ;p

Haeleth
2004-03-29, 03:29
80 hours gameplay? Sounds good.

BTW, Himeya are finally taking pre-orders...

Blackavar
2004-03-29, 04:22
How "sturdy" do you think this release date is going to be? A few people I know're going to swing by Japan at the end of April and will hopefully be in the area on the 28th. Do Japanese releases work like US releases where it's bumped back a dozen times or do they generally make a date and manage to stick with it?

Haeleth
2004-03-29, 04:54
I've never known a game of this sort miss its release date, though it's bound to happen from time to time. (I'm drawing a distinction between the "Due out in 2003" that was on clannad.prpage.jp until this January, which they obviously did miss, and the "Release date 2004-4-28", which I'm pretty sure they won't.)

Remember that this is a very different sort of game from big US titles - it's low-budget, small team, small volume stuff, and sales rely absolutely on them keeping their hard core of fans happy. It's not like your Half-Life 2s, where the date is set by the publisher while the programmers are still arguing over whether to make a FPS or an RTS. I get the impression that bishoujo game makers don't announce a date till the game has gone gold, almost...

Of course, it's a good question whether the game will be easy to find in stores just after release - I don't have a clue about that. If you want to be sure of a copy ASAP, and you don't want to pay international shipping, maybe you could arrange to have a pre-order delivered to an address in Japan and get your friends to pick it up or something?

Blackavar
2004-03-29, 20:52
Mmm. I think I'll just do what I did for Kanon and Air- wait eagerly for word of a translation, forget about it for a few months, rediscover them, realize that there's a translation, go insane for the next few months trying to cajole people into picking up copies for me. =P

There's also the difference between the types of games that they are though. From my unexperienced view, it's not like there's that much that could go wrong in a game like this whereas in Half-Life-like games, all sorts of random effects could happen. I suppose what I basically mean is that FPSes are more technologically oriented and are therefore more susceptable to problems while visual novel-likes rely on simpler technology that's very well implemented.

...On a read through of that, I have no idea what I'm talking about. It's too late and I hope there's nothing in there to take offense at/is drastically wrong... (But yes, I did mean the April 28th date, not the 2003 release...which will be very interesting if it DOES get released by then. =P)

2004-04-27, 03:01
Clannad related stuff on megazine.

http://www.myimgs.com/data/PKIM/clannad.jpg

Ryou was a nurse???

Haeleth
2004-04-27, 04:57
Ryou was a nurse???
Just dressing up as one, if the caption's telling the truth.

Weave
2004-04-27, 06:48
So, it even has cosplay in it???
I swear, Clannad just may get my ultilities shut off next month...

Well, it's the 28th in ten minutes.
Wonder if there's lines already?

Keisuke
2004-04-27, 08:46
Dang, I forgot to log in again when I post ^^;;;

Cosplay huh? Looks very interesting.

Haeleth
2004-04-27, 13:22
Well, it's the 28th in ten minutes.
Wonder if there's lines already?
Lines? There's people posting on Key's BBS that they've finished it already!

(Well... only one person so far, and he's only claiming to have finished with Fuuko, but even so! んもぉ~、不公平だよ不公平!)

Weave
2004-04-27, 17:55
Lines? There's people posting on Key's BBS that they've finished it already!</span>)

That guy is either a bad liar, or a great gamer.
Blasting through the game that quick, when it's supposed to be, what, 80 hours long or something? That just reaks of something wrong.

He could have just threw the game in OD and guessed all the right answers. I'm guilty of that crime myself on some games.
<cough> Silvern <cough>.