PDA

View Full Version : Is a mini-walkthrough possible?

k
2004-02-11, 20:17
Considering you've been in and out of the game code so often, I'm sure you'd know how to get all the endings, all the CGs, etc.

I guess you're really busy, but after the next patch release would it be possible to just hash together a small document? It'd help for those parts that still have no text, otherwise I have no idea what I'm doing.

If you don't want to it's okay, though.

Aldareon
2004-02-11, 23:42
head over to http://www.gamefaqs.com

search for kanon - there should be at least one result. The walkthrough teaches a few things to help you finish, but personally I would rather wait for the entire game to be translated. My problem with the game is that I can't read much kanji but I can understand most of what is spoken. Too frustrating to try and finish it on my own without the translated text - gives me a headache. Oh yeah - watching the anime might help a bit too.

RyokoTenchi
2004-02-11, 23:46
also why get a walkthrough for a game where you get to chose your own path? make it a personaly quest to find all the CG's or something. but still just play to recieve the ending you WANT to recieve. at least thats how i feel.

k
2004-02-12, 13:28
Why get a walkthrough? Well, I wouldn't need one if the game was fully translated, but when 75% of the text is invisible, I need some help. That's all.

Given that, I'd wait for the final 100% version but I expect that's going to be a long time coming, so might as well do what I can for now. When it is fully translated though, I'll play it again without any help, since then I'll know what I'm doing ^_^;

Haeleth
2004-02-12, 13:58
I probably shan't bother to write a FAQ for Kanon like I have for my other projects, because frankly it's all pretty simple if you can read the text, and my time is probably best spent working on that problem! The only really tricky things I can think of offhand are finding Sayuri's scenario and getting Nayuki's last CG (which I've already explained elsewhere on this board). Oh... and I guess it's fairly easy to miss the Makoto bath scenes, but the trigger for those is already translated in the current patch.

If you can't wait for the finished thing, Aldareon's suggestions are both good ones. The walkthrough on Gamefaqs is not a particularly impressive piece of work, but it'll get you through the game.

Blackavar
2004-02-25, 16:25
Actually, after just rewatching the Kanon anime, what IS Sayuri's story? It's evident that there's much more to her than what's shown in the anime, and the gamefaqs.com summary of her story doesn't mesh too well with the anime (at least, in my opinion). Was her role in the anime changed from the game or something?

Also, who's that girl in the Kanon anime episode Kazehana ("Episode 14")?

Stranger
2004-02-26, 00:55
Also, who's that girl in the Kanon anime episode Kazehana ("Episode 14")?
Do you mean the one worried about her hair???... if so, that is Ayu.

ROT13 (http://tools.geht.net/rot13.html)
-------
Gung vf gur ERNY Nlh nsgre fur jbxr-hc. Ubcrshyl gur tnzr jvyy rkcynva zber nobhg gur Nlh gung jnf jnyxvat nebhaq, naq unq gur 7 lrne'f byq zrzbel, ohg abg zhpu nobhg pheerag *pbzzba* zrzbevrf.

Still... I want to see the game with Nayuki's and Makoto's endings.. and their stores (in FULL).

Blackavar
2004-02-26, 11:09
Hum. Okay, I suppose my question was a little vauge, as they're all in there. =P

I was referring to the girl who went up to see Makoto; Absolutely nobody from the translated areas of Kanon or the Kanon anime comes to mind.

Blackavar
2004-02-26, 11:14
...oh wait. Was she the girl from episode 10 that basically only appears once?

Haeleth
2004-02-26, 13:26
I haven't watched the anime, so I'm purely guessing, but might it be Mishio Amano (the girl above Akiko in the character list (http://key.visualarts.gr.jp/product/kanon/chara_all.htm))?

K
2004-02-26, 17:26
Mishio doesn't show much, yes, and while she's enigmatic, I get the impression the anime tells you all you really need to know... which is "not much".

Haeleth, you really should see it... it's top-notch, seems kinda lame at first, but it heats up.

Of course, considering your familiarity with Kanon, it probably would lose something for you... (I saw the anime, then decided I absolutely had to get the game, so... that's why I'm here ^_^)

Blackavar
2004-02-26, 19:23
It's not too hard to find a DVD copy of it on eBay that's pretty cheap in the US...not sure if they're legal though. And I'd really have to say that the English fansub is vastly superior to the official English sub. My only gripe is the absolute rarity of Kazehana. Too bad. =(

So it's her? No wonder she slipped my mind, even just a few hours after seeing her. =P

I was introduced to Kanon through the anime (through Fred of Megatokyo's devotion to it) too, then found my way here looking for a translation of Mizuiro actually.

K
2004-02-26, 21:28
It's not too hard to find a DVD copy of it on eBay that's pretty cheap in the US...not sure if they're legal though. And I'd really have to say that the English fansub is vastly superior to the official English sub. My only gripe is the absolute rarity of Kazehana. Too bad. =(

I doubt they're actually official. You might as well get a fansub... dunno if Haeleth'd appreciate me posting a link to fansubbed Kanon here though.

As for Kazahana, it's not like you miss much... it's essentially Ep. 13 version 2, not much new. You get to see what happens to everyone instead of just Yuuichi and Ayu, but there really isn't too much going on.

Blackavar
2004-02-27, 04:31
Well...if it's not official, than they did get at least some unusual packing for it. I've never seen a DVD in that sort of packaging before. Then again, it wouldn't be too hard to fake if they were actually mass-producing it... The other thing that does lead me to believe that there was at least some sort of official-ness is that it has chinese subs without any mention of a third party (that I've noticed at any rate). On the other hand though, I heard that the actual Kanon DVDs were released 2 episodes a piece or so so the 13 episode version might just be those ripped and recompiled or something. *cough* Uhm. Yeah, I'll shut up now. =)

But as for Kazahana...it does make an excellent collection piece for people who're collecting the stuff. ^^;;;

Haeleth
2004-02-27, 04:44
Is there an official English sub? I didn't think Kanon had been licensed. Either way, it's not like fansub torrents are exactly hard to find these days, I doubt anyone really needs a link. ;)

As for quality, I did have a look at the transcribed scripts on scriptclub.org, and I can't say I was incredibly impressed. The anime itself may be watchable, I don't have the disposable income to find out right now.

BTW, I take it you found the Mizuiro patch in the end, Blackavar?

Stranger
2004-02-27, 06:36
I don't think that Kanon is Licened yet, and by the way the only good thing about the anime is that you see the Charcters *moveing* and doing stuff. Other wise the story have been shortend to cover all 5 girls brifly. So I only sugest that you get the anime if you want to SEE the charcters moveing around.

By the way, I can't find the guy from the anime who seems to have issues with Mai, in the Kanon Charecter page. Was he made up as an extra thing in the anime, or is he in the game considered to be a sub-sub charecter?? any body knows??

Haeleth
2004-02-27, 07:12
Are you thinking of Kuze (久瀬), the president of the student council? He appears in the game, but there aren't any graphics for him, which is why he's not on the character page. There are various other guys who have issues with Mai, but Kuze's the only one who has a name in the game.

Stranger
2004-02-27, 08:18
Oh yes, the president of the student council, that's the guy. There is no graphics for him!!! damn... I was hoping for a chance to punch him when I play Mai's story.

Oh well... thanks for the info.

Haeleth
2004-02-27, 09:42
I was hoping for a chance to punch him when I play Mai's story.
Qba'g jbeel, Znv qbrf gung sbe lbh. ;)

roxfan
2004-02-27, 10:01
Well...if it's not official, than they did get at least some unusual packing for it. I've never seen a DVD in that sort of packaging before. Then again, it wouldn't be too hard to fake if they were actually mass-producing it... The other thing that does lead me to believe that there was at least some sort of official-ness is that it has chinese subs without any mention of a third party (that I've noticed at any rate).
I think you need to read this: http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html#dvd

Blackavar
2004-02-27, 11:27
...hm. *coughcough*

Yep; There's a patch out for Mizuiro that translates (and locks you on to) all of Hiyori's scenario. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's been touched at all for over a year.

(I can toss a link over to it if anybody's interested.)

K
2004-02-27, 16:42
As for quality, I did have a look at the transcribed scripts on scriptclub.org, and I can't say I was incredibly impressed. The anime itself may be watchable, I don't have the disposable income to find out right now.

I thought your Japanese was good enough that it didn't matter >_>

Haeleth
2004-02-28, 09:18
Hence "the anime itself" as opposed to the fansub.

Although to be quite honest I do still prefer watching well subbed stuff to raw... my Japanese isn't bad for an autodidact, but I still have to concentrate fairly hard to follow rapid speech, which isn't ideal when you're trying to relax. ^^

Either way, I prefer my fansubs in script form so I can use them with the original DVDs - digisubs always seem to be either compressed into ugliness or too big for me to download. A quick check on Amazon reveals that the anime could be mine for just 37,600 yen (exc. postage and VAT). Maybe I won't be <strike>watching</strike> buying it just yet... (汗)

K
2004-02-28, 09:53
A quick check on Amazon reveals that the anime could be mine for just 37,600 yen (exc. postage and VAT). Maybe I won't be watching it just yet...

I thought you were broke ^_-;

RyokoTenchi
2004-02-28, 23:54
CHII!!!!!

K
2004-02-29, 14:48
CHII!!!!!

Huh?

Stranger
2004-02-29, 22:13
Huh?
I think RyokoTenchi was refering the image you are using.

Any way, the fansub I've got was 640x480, which is quite good... don't you think??

And you have a point about fansubs, it depends on who is doing the subbing. Lunar and Ainme-Keep seem to be very good.