PDA

View Full Version : Kanon CDDA Patch?

Slaimus
2004-01-21, 20:47
Is there a fix for the broken music bug under winxp? Have been dual booting win98 to get around it.

RyokoTenchi
2004-01-22, 00:03
well i run Win2k and i had a problem with the sound at first too. basically you have to run from CD a couple of times and i even re-installed it. after about 3 re-installs and running from the CD it finally worked ^^. so basiaclly lots of pattience and trial and error are needed for the NT based OS's.

Guestuser
2004-01-22, 02:58
Is there a fix for the broken music bug under winxp? Have been dual booting win98 to get around it.

yes there is. its in the kanon cd, there is a file name setfade.exe
run that and click on the second radiobutton ( 使用しない )
then click the first pushbutton ( 決定 ) and it should work for winxp.

RyokoTenchi
2004-01-22, 12:17
well i guess you can do that too...

Haeleth
2004-01-22, 14:41
It does take away the trial-and-error element, which can't be a bad thing.

Of course, real men fix this problem by manually setting the value CDDAVolFade to "1" in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KEY\KANON. :p

RyokoTenchi
2004-01-23, 20:52
well eXCUSE ME for not being a programmer hehe

JudicatorOmega
2004-01-23, 22:21
You don't have to be a programmer to learn to use the registry, you just need to think logically. I myself am on my way to becoming a real man. I just need to learn C and C++.

Besides that; if you learn to use the registry, you can remove all those stupid annoying "Windows XP Hotfix (See Q???????)" crap from your Add/Remove programs menu.

RyokoTenchi
2004-01-25, 22:14
OMG REALLY? DUDE I WANT TO LEARN REGISTRY!!!!!!!

Teach me Master *bows*

Haeleth
2004-01-26, 02:18
Try new Registry today, in just five simple steps! It's fun... and healthy, too!

Step 1: click "Start".
Step 2: click "Run...".
Step 3: type "regedit".
Step 4: change things randomly until you get bored.
Step 5: you just broke your computer, so reformat and install Linux instead.

Congratulations, you are now l337!

(Don't try this at home, kids! Or at work. Or anywhere. Geeze, it's impossible to write anything without a disclaimer these days... @@)

Slaimus
2004-01-26, 09:43
Thanks, that worked. The music seems to just cut off instead of fading out, but it is better than none at all.

Oh and check out http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml for a useful registry util.

Haeleth
2004-01-26, 14:11
Thanks, that worked. The music seems to just cut off instead of fading out, but it is better than none at all.
Yep, I'm afraid I haven't found a way to make it fade properly yet.

It might be possible - for example, ripping the music to wav files and changing the game to use those instead of CD tracks might do the trick. I think I'll have a go at that, actually... watch this space!

RyokoTenchi
2004-01-27, 01:55
lol, i acctually know someone who deleted their explorer.exe file from their computer. lol that is completely stupid.

Haeleth
2004-01-27, 03:25
Regarding the possibility of fixing the fade problems in Win2k/XP: unfortunately the AVG32 versions (16M, 17M) used in Kanon don't support WAV music. It's easy enough to get a copy of the 17D interpreter which does, which means it's possible to use the WAV rip workaround with the all-age version, but I can't find a copy of the 16D interpreter anywhere, which means that the only way to patch the adult version would be to literally recompile it to version 17. Possible, but it would be more work than I'm willing to commit to right now.

Back off topic:
i acctually know someone who deleted their explorer.exe file from their computer.
I hope it wasn't you who told them it was a virus...

RyokoTenchi
2004-01-27, 12:21
naw, a friend told him that he should stop some processes in the task manager to help save memory but he deleted them instead of just stopping them from running. lol

2004-01-28, 15:57
he should of just bought more ram instead like me.
i now have 512 ram in two slots and 2 more free slots for more ram.
i dont mess with the task manger. last time i mess with it.
it gave me like 30 sec. to save all unsaved stuff before it auto restart.
i think it was ones of those svchost.exe.
there were like four of them and i press end process on one of them that was using the most memory.
but now i have went out of the dark and gain some light on computer

Haeleth
2004-02-04, 06:43
<strike>Back on the subject of getting the music to work properly in Win2k/XP, I think I've found a legal download source for the elusive AVG3216D executable... so it looks like I may be able to make a fairly simple patcher that will give perfect fading music on modern operating systems *without* requiring a complete recompile of the entire game. Which would be nice.</strike>

Damn them! It was part of a patch to make the sound work properly under Windows XP on an older game, and it turns out... they'd done it by recompiling the entire game and distributing a renamed AVG3217D with it.

Bang goes that idea. Oh well.

I'm now looking into the idea of recompiling the game with Windows XP support again, but it'll be on hold for a while - my copy of Fate/Stay Night just arrived! (Wa~i!)

zalas
2004-02-04, 14:37
What about adding a flag to let the wav playing function in the script loop a wav over and over again and then add functions for controlling the wav mixer value (like in the audio mixer in windows). Hence older interpreters will just play the music once and not change volume whereas the patched one will?

Haeleth
2004-02-04, 16:24
It would be possible, but that might actually be more complicated than just recompiling for the newest interpreter!

Basically, what I want to do is to switch to using the D-series interpreters; they support WAV music from the same functions that handle CD music, without any changes to the bytecode at all (it's all handled in GAMEEXE.INI). I can't do that because nobody's distributing the 16D interpreter that would be required to do that for the adult version of Kanon, but I can recompile the adult version to use a 17D interpreter fairly easily. The advantage of this approach is that the source code remains exactly the same, I just have to pass a different option to the compiler.

While I could theoretically handle WAV music with the sound effect functions in the M-series interpreter the game comes with, that would mean I'd have to change the source code too...

Edit: I just realised that you're probably talking about actually modifying the interpreter, not just the bytecode. That would also be a possible approach, but my x86 ASM hacking skills are nonexistent.

2004-02-05, 17:11
the one that you found.. that wouldn't happen to be the one for pureheart is it?
i found that one very easy to find on the web. yeah it was an avg16m renamed to avg3217d.
it don't work on kanon. it just crash when it shows the KEY/VisualArt's thingy.

how about if you use the new RealLive one. would that work on kanon?

Haeleth
2004-02-06, 03:33
that wouldn't happen to be the one for pureheart is it?
For RAM's ねがい, actually. Same problem, though.

how about if you use the new RealLive one. would that work on kanon?
Yes, in the sense that it would be possible to port Kanon to RealLive - but first I'd have to write a RealLive compiler and make considerable changes to Kanon's source code. RealLive bytecode is completely different from AVG32 - more powerful and flexible, but also significantly more complicated. I won't say the thought hadn't crossed my mind (I could do all sorts of fun things in RealLive), but it wouldn't be the simplest solution to the music problem. ^^

k
2004-02-12, 20:17
I find the game is quite playable without the music, and if you miss the music too much, just load up some Kanon mp3s as you play ^_^

As for the WAV workaround and such, it's probably better to put it off until the text is all translated ^_-;

Stranger
2004-02-25, 03:47
Thanks for your vAVG32e, I am finaly able to hear the charecters now. I never were able to, because of all the ??? that showed up, and didn't know what to select. Thanks again.

Any way, in this program you said something about "gogo.dll" being able to play MP3's. wouldn't it help you to use that dll instead of trying to use WAV files??.

Myen
2004-02-29, 02:15
IIRC, gogo.dll is used for compressing mp3s - I think it actually uses LAME, but am not certain on that point. vAVG32, I believe, also packs the mp3s in a RIFF header (they look like WAV files), so you'd need the old MP3 ACM decompressors to use them in the game. Which is neither here nor there, but anyway.

And the problem at this point, as I understand it, is that -16M doesn't play those files the way Haeleth wants them to, so whether they are MP3s or WAVs probably wouldn't matter too much - to the game, they look the same.

2004-03-03, 23:25
I personally use _inmm.dll (http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Domino/8282/) with winamp to fade music on WindowsXP. Unfortunately, it uses Japanese a lot (I'm a Japanese) but it works well.

Once an application is patched with '_inmmcnf.exe', It bypasses winmm.dll, which concerns with playing CDDA track. Instead, it uses _inmm.dll.
_inmm.dll plays MP3 file or anything the player can play, instead of CD track according to '_inmm.ini'.
This utility can be used to any application (of course including Kanon).

sorry for my strange English. I hope this would help someone.

Haeleth
2004-03-15, 16:26
ありがとうございます! このプログラムがあれば、 もう全然問題なさそうです。 本当に助かったから、名前教えてくれればちゃんと礼を言います。
(ところで、英作文にはお客さんが多くのアメリカ人より上手そうだから、 「変」なんて言う必要はないと思います・・・)

In other words, I finally got round to trying _inmm.dll, and it seems to work. I'm still experimenting with the settings to see how to get the best results, but it's definitely giving me proper music fading. So it looks like the problem of CDDA on Win2k/XP is now solved, and without much effort on my part, for which I'm rather thankful. All I have to do now is write up some instructions for the Japanese-disadvantaged.

Stranger
2004-03-15, 21:32
True the lib is working fine (which remind's me I forgot to say thanks to the Japaneses visiter "ありがとう ございます"). The only problem am haveing with it, is the fact that it uses WAVE output. There fore it have the same volume as the Voice add-on. While with the CDDA, you can give the Voice higher volume.

Oh well... can't look a gift hourse in the mouth now can I????

Any way, anybody knows how to make a MIDI file out of a wave files???... I did rip the tracks as WAV (I do not have an MP3 ripper, anybody know of any open souce ripper??,, or a Freeware ripper??). Having the Music files as MIDI will be good, and keep the 3 songs as MP3 will save lots of space.

Haeleth
2004-03-16, 03:31
The only problem am haveing with it, is the fact that it uses WAVE output. There fore it have the same volume as the Voice add-on. While with the CDDA, you can give the Voice higher volume.
There are ways round that. If you set it to play back through Winamp, for example, you should be able to use the internal Winamp controls to adjust the music volume separately. Or you could use a WAV editor to lower the volume of the music in the files themselves - even the Sound Recorder that comes with Windows can do that!

Any way, anybody knows how to make a MIDI file out of a wave files?
There isn't an automatic way, it has to be done by hand. There used to be some ready-made MIDI conversions of some of Kanon's soundtrack on key.suki.net, but that site seems to be down at the moment.

I do not have an MP3 ripper, anybody know of any open souce ripper? or a Freeware ripper?
Yes (http://www.mp3-tech.org/encoders_win.html).

Stranger
2004-03-16, 04:46
If you set it to play back through Winamp, for example, you should be able to use the internal Winamp controls to adjust the music volume separately
I still haven't figured out how to do that yet.... I only could figure out that I needed the lib in the same directory as avg32 and also figured out the ini file. Other wise I am still lost with the tool itself.
even the Sound Recorder that comes with Windows can do that!
let's see now.... WOW... the program is there in the menu... I actual forgot the fact that it excist.... I will try it as soon as I get home.

Also thanks for the MP3 link.

Rasqual Twilight
2004-03-22, 09:32
Besides that; if you learn to use the registry, you can remove all those stupid annoying "Windows XP Hotfix (See Q???????)" crap from your Add/Remove programs menu.

Real men use the /n command-line option when installing the fix to avoid "the crap" as you said.

iincho
2004-04-01, 20:55
hello, this is the guest "Guest". Last time I misused the username field...

I'm glad to see my post be help. Unfortunately, I'll be offline for another one month to get a new BB internet account.
See you again then.

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-10, 01:50
ok tried the registry and the Setfade thing and no longer works so basically if i wait for next patch will the sound bug for win2k be fixed? ^^

Stranger
2004-05-10, 02:49
humm... the Regsister add on, and the Setfade both work in Win2k and WinXP...

any way... have you considered using _inmm.dll (http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Domino/8282/) posted by iincho-san... it is easy to use, and it helps keep the orignal Kanon CD safe from scritchs :-)

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-10, 17:27
well i would if i knew HOW to use. i am at a loss.

Stranger
2004-05-10, 22:51
HowTo: _inmm.dll (http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Domino/8282/)
1- Download the file and extract it in a the place you want the program to run from (note: there is no Installer, just extract it somewhere, and keep it there).
2- Run _inmmcnf.exe
3- In the method Tab it will ask you what program to use when playing a certine file type.
3a - The Left part show the file extension.
3b - The Right side show the player to use (choose what ever you like).
3c - set the Default player to what ever you like best.
4- The player Tab let you select the location of each player. (if you are using DirectShow in the first Tab then ignore this Tab.
5- Ignore the General Tab and go to the Patch Tab.
6- In the Patch Tab it will show you 2 lists.
6a - the Group is the company name (I think), so select Key. (press the letter "k" in the keyboard).
6b - the Title will show the games names under the selected group (company). Select Kanon.
6c - click Patch (answer the qustion, and if it ask you for the location then just browser to the kanon directory (default: C:\kanon))
7- Copy the files _inmm.dll and _inmm.ini to your kanon game directory (keep them in the same location as AVG3216x.EXE)

---- first step done :-)

Next is to tell the program what files to play instead of the CDDA. This information is keept in the file _inmm.ini.
(note: The following assume that you have copied your audio files into a sub directory called music (default c:\kanon\music) ).

1- Open _inmm.ini in Notepad (or an other program, as long as you save it as TEXT file).
2- Clear the contant of the file.
3- The format of the file should be as follows:

<directory>\<name_of_track>
Ex.
music\02 - Track 2.mid
music\03 - Track 3.midi
music\04 - Track 4.wav
music\23 - Track 23.mp3

4- Note: That each line in the file represent a track on the CD. Also note that you can have different audio formats.
5- Run the game :-)
------------ DONE

FAQ: (just kidding)
----
Q - I don't want this program, I want Kanon the way it was.
A - In Kanon directory you will find a file called AVG3216M.org, this is the orignal game file. So delete AVG3216M.exe and rename this file to be with the extension "exe"
---
Q - When running the game I get the message "Cannot execure _inmmserv.exe".
A - As step "1" says, you are spose the keep the extracted files some where. So if you have delete them, then extract them again and run "_inmmcnf.exe" again (just run it, then press ok, that should be enough).
Update---
Q - How do I upgrade to a newer version of _inmm?
A - After downloading the tool and extracting it to the place that you want to keep it. Just run _inmmcnf.exe and exit (this will update the registry), after that copy the new _inmm.dll to overwrite the old one in the game directory. (Keep _inmm.ini as it is, there is no need for any changes in it).
---
Q - What's with the newer version of _inmmcnf.ini?
A - The _inmmcnf.ini file contain the list of games that the tool can patch (or to be more correct, what file to be patched in each game). So the developer of the tool might support some newer games, but have no update for the tool itself, therefore to make it easier on the end user, s/he have provided a seprate download for the list of games. So if you have a new game, and you can't find it in _inmm list, then just download the new version of list and hope that it is supported now ;-). And if it is not supported yet, you can edit the inmmcnf.ini file yourself using Notepad.

P.S. I know that this is a crapy guid... but hey, it is a guid

2004-05-10, 23:56
SWEET!!! it works now. surprisingly enough i even got it to work with .wma format lol. which really surprises me. hehe

RyokoTenchi
2004-05-10, 23:57
last post was me of course. darn cookies. ^^

2005-07-25, 05:22
I think the music related problems in XP/2k may be related with the way the OS handles cd-audio reading by default, by reading the cd data and playing it like a wave file... I guess turning off the 'Digital audio' option in the cd drive properties could help... treating the cd-audio like an analog source through the sound card audio cable. (This is just a guess, so don't kick me in the nuts if i'm wrong)