PDA

View Full Version : Fun... but, in a way, depressing.

Arcane Azmadi
2003-12-17, 09:19
I have to say that I think our mutual friend here is doing a fantastic job on the Kanon patch. I was playing Kanon for days...

...well, two days actually, then I ran out of english. It's kind of depressing, finally getting to play an anticipated game, then being forced to stop. I wish I could help Haeleth with the translation, but my Japanese skills are pretty lame compared to his. Still, I suppose I'll have to test them now by playing on in Japanese, though it'll be a bugger taking 20 minutes to accurately translate each line of text (I'll be working out of my textbooks, dictionary and kanji chart).

Oh, please don't misunderstand, this isn't criticism. I know this is both difficult and only a hobby, I just wish I had have started a bit later. Now I'll be checking the site at least 3 times per week, "just in case" the next update on the patch has come. Now that's the anticipation I reserve only for the best stuff!

Err, is there actually any way I can help?

Haeleth
2003-12-17, 14:45
It's kind of depressing, finally getting to play an anticipated game, then being forced to stop.
Believe me, I know just how you feel. It's one reason why I sometimes wish I hadn't started releasing partial patches. Of course, as I've said here before, now I've started, I'd get death threats if I announced that the next patch wouldn't be till it was finished! ;)

Now I'll be checking the site at least 3 times per week, "just in case" the next update on the patch has come.
I'm planning to create a mailing list for people to subscribe to and have announcements delivered straight to their inboxes, but I'm having a few technical problems getting that set up. It should save you some time when it happens, though.

Err, is there actually any way I can help?
You could pay a professional translator to handle the rest of the script - you could probably find someone to take it for under US$10,000 if you shop around. :p

Joking aside, the real answer is that I'm afraid there probably isn't anything you can do. At this point it's just a case of slogging away with the translation, and one day it'll be done. With any luck it won't be too long till the next patch now...