PDA

View Full Version : Amagami Game Translation Project

CirqueForge
2012-02-18, 01:16
Recruitment is reopened. We are looking for translators. Our blog can be found at https://nishishitranslations.wordpress.com/. Please use the latest update post to look for in-depth numerical updates for the project and since I have no clue how long the forums on gemot encubed will stay open, that will be where any future updates will be done.

We are active, but the technical issues pertaining to the project itself are negligible and can be bypassed if there isn't a straight way of solving it. The main roadblock now is translation of all the scripts.

First Day Patch For All Platforms

https://nishishitranslations.wordpress.com/patches/

Please read the readme first for instructions on how to patch and answers to some questions I gave beforehand to avoid confusion about some things about the project. The SVN has also been updated mostly with a few exceptions for the tool and documentation has been also updated, but since Google Code closed in August this year, the original repository is now readonly. Any new tool code or documentation will be published elsewhere.

I hope you all enjoy.

Original OP post with file links removed:
Hello. Currently, I'm temporarily in charge of spearheading the effort along with a bunch of people to see if we can translate Amagami in English for the PS2. I was wondering if I can get any help in regards to this little possibility of translating this game. The translation only remains a possibility for right now for the reasons I am about to explain.

Around 5 months ago, a Russian dude by the name of freesmiler did some poking around and wrote some code in Qt for working with the game files, with the inclusion of extracting .SCF files with scripts which then again extracted into .XML files.

His site with all his documentation, tools, and source code is at http://freesmiler.livejournal.com/.

So around 5 days ago, I discovered his site and started to poke around at his code and got it to work and I managed to inserting my own text.

Despite that, there are now two major problems to work with at the moment that is blocking translation efforts.

1.) The source code and the tool that he provided for download do not work for a majority of users who I have come into contact with in the interest of trying to tinker with the code. I do not know if a full rewrite is necessary at this point for all of the code or not, but only another person running Debian and I was able to get it running and I can not get a fully working .exe with .dlls to work beyond simple extraction of .ARC files. Also, even with the whole thing working, the code is still very very buggy and there are still some specific script files that can't be decoded into an .XML file due to it crashing because of some debugger code in the source code that I still can't figure out the purpose of.

2.) As you can see in the picture above, I am using double-width characters as a workaround right now to insert text into the game because simple ASCII codes of S-JIS are used for some control sequences. The main problem is that the text box is limited to 69 characters, 23 per each line before the text overflows the text box.So, there are two options in regards to that. One is that I need to find the font file for the game and modify it, and I have no idea where it is other than in a .18 file that's in the root of the game with an .ELF header. However, there is nothing of that sort mentioned in the .iso. I have the file up for analysis at in case anybody wants to look at it.

So can anyone help out with this? I would greatly appreciate it. I have an IRC channel set up at #amagamitranslation@irc.rizon.net if there needs to be more talk on this matter that can't be expressed simply by this forum.

d_fallen_god
2012-02-18, 05:54
Oh nice...
I'll try to help if you want...
the reason is like that due the font is image...
thats why its like that.
we can adjust that if we edit the image.
I'll try to help you as much as I can..if I can make time. right now I'm very busy..

d_fallen_god
2012-02-18, 09:26
Sorry for the double post:
I send to you a useful tool in image editing via email
if you have problems regarding how to use it please tell me..

CirqueForge
2012-02-18, 18:06
Ok, so far, we have deduced where the font file is now. It was in GRAPH0 archive, and at the 451th spot, it outputs a .bin file and then two .tim2 files, both of which are 672x4384 images. Both can be seen here, image 452: http://i.imgur.com/c3qqQ.png. image 453: http://i.imgur.com/Fm0jB.jpg. The question is now if someone can tell us how to get a workable font file out of this...

Edit: I realized how unhelpful posting only the .bin would be so I put all three files here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xbbcceoqkb5k8e8

Aaeru
2012-02-18, 23:39
How come not the PSP release of Amagami? That would get more audience. Oh well I guess we take what we can get.

Anyway this is awesome I support this! GL guys

fujifruit
2012-02-19, 04:27
How come not the PSP release of Amagami? That would get more audience. Oh well I guess we take what we can get.

How...?

post too short

CirqueForge
2012-02-19, 06:48

They use the Ebkore+ version with the PSP and I've checked the .iso. They use a different compression method on GRAPH0 archives and SCENARIO.ARC decompression goes awry at one point with the tools. It's the same with the PS2 version of the Ebkore+ version.

I'm not an expert on this and I'm still trying to get in contact with freesmiler. If I had written these tools, I would've targeted the PSP maybe moreso than the PS2 version but sadly, it's all we have to work with for now.

VDZ
2012-02-19, 07:08
How come not the PSP release of Amagami? That would get more audience.

Don't, dammit. I was already rather disappointed I was unable to play Corpse Party in any way (it can't be properly emulated), I want to play this game if it ever gets translated. The PS2 is the best selling game console ever made, with over 150 million sold, and even those who don't have it can emulate it on their PCs. The PSP has sold half of that (75 million) and usually has major problems during emulation.

CirqueForge
2012-03-13, 19:25
Well, it's been a while since anything really worthwhile happened. freesmiler commented to let people know that he wasn't dead. Here's what he had to say:

Hi guys,

Sorry for a delay. Actually I've dropped the research because I got stuck with the ASCII output and have a lot of work IRL. The main problem is that one need to find a switch that separetes 'control codes' and S-JIS text. There was an attempt to find all 'compare with 0x80 + conditional branch' patterns, but inverting a branch condition in the found places changed nothing. It would be helpful to have a debugger like GDB or something attached to the PCSX, because it's almost impossible to find that switch in a 20Mb disassembly file. That's for an overview.

So, here are my current thoughts:
1. There's no interest in tools debug since there's no actual motivation to do it until the ASCII solution is found. They work as a 'proof-of-concept', but further development is not planned now.
2. I'll try to build a DEBUG version of PCSX @ the weekend and check it's capabilities. Maybe it has some useful features?

I replied to give him some pointers for debugging the game but basically, the only way around this is to hack around the game's executable and see what happens. I'm getting time shortly after this week to see what I can do in terms of editing around the binary.

On the other hand, I finally was able to compile his tools without error and seeing that I was able to use it on my roommate's computer without error, I might as well post a download link to it for anyone that wants to just play around with the game files and see what they can do with it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tp4k42fnlldjmm3

CirqueForge
2012-03-28, 10:29
Bumping.

All current news is reflected in the OP post. Currently recruiting for the project.

Kuro666
2012-04-10, 03:21
Do you need a translator? I'm actually a starting translator, but at least I can translate most of the basic text in any game. For Amagami in particular, I'm pretty sure I can handle most of the game's text, though, can't guarantee it. I have no trouble understanding, but putting it into words might require some time, hehe.
Write to kurosan9712@gmail.com if you're interested.

CirqueForge
2012-05-04, 20:01
Do you need a translator? I'm actually a starting translator, but at least I can translate most of the basic text in any game. For Amagami in particular, I'm pretty sure I can handle most of the game's text, though, can't guarantee it. I have no trouble understanding, but putting it into words might require some time, hehe.
Write to kurosan9712@gmail.com if you're interested.

Sorry, we're done recruiting although by the time you posted here, I've already stopped recruiting translators. Thank you anyways.

In any case, just updated some things about the project and we're currently on track to either make a before-summer patch release for the prologue or release it by early July. It may depend on our schedules.

The script is now in the editing phrase, and after a short testing period, we'll release it to the general public.

CirqueForge
2012-07-02, 08:58
Bump. Patch release. Hope you all enjoy.

dorkatlarge
2012-07-03, 16:39
Thank you for creating this patch. Two questions, if you don't mind...

1) Will it only work with a genuine PS2 game disc?
2) Does it require a modded PS2, or will it work with a computer and an emulator?

I will keep an eye on this project, and hope that work will continue.

CirqueForge
2012-07-03, 19:26
Thank you for creating this patch. Two questions, if you don't mind...

1) Will it only work with a genuine PS2 game disc?
2) Does it require a modded PS2, or will it work with a computer and an emulator?

I will keep an eye on this project, and hope that work will continue.

Read the Readme. I believe I put out adequate answers beforehand for both of the questions above in the document.

Unregistered
2012-07-13, 07:11
just wondering if u have a eta on wen/if the full pacth will b done btw is the game fully voiced except protag just wonderin

CirqueForge
2012-07-13, 19:46
just wondering if u have a eta on wen/if the full pacth will b done btw is the game fully voiced except protag just wonderin

The first question you asked, read the FAQ in the readme to find the answer.

For the second, yes, the game mostly voiced except for the protagonist and very minor characters.

Ncf
2012-07-19, 13:17
i went to the FAQ and i couldn´t find the answer for the question asked, can someone please help me...

CirqueForge
2012-07-19, 20:12
i went to the FAQ and i couldn´t find the answer for the question asked, can someone please help me...

What question are you inquiring about?

Ncf
2012-07-20, 11:43
just wondering if u have a eta on wen/if the full pacth will b done

this is the question i was asking about

CirqueForge
2012-07-20, 12:38
this is the question i was asking about

It's in the FAQ. Because you could not find it to read, here it is for your own convenience to read.

Q: When will you finish the translation for the whole game?
A: It will be done when it is done. Initial estimates put the release date at our current progress to finish sometime in 2015-2016.

Ncf
2012-07-21, 16:41
ok,thanks!!

CirqueForge
2012-07-31, 12:31
Bump to announce the PSP release. This will be the last patch we will give out in terms of a partial release. The full patch will be our next full patch.

Unregistered
2012-08-02, 02:48
Bump to announce the PSP release. This will be the last patch we will give out in terms of a partial release. The full patch will be our next full patch.
Thanks and good luck. Waiting warmly for 2016, hopefully gemot encubed will still be online.

Unregistered
2012-08-05, 23:57
Greatly enjoyed the partial PSP release. The script was very professional, the hacking seemed well done.. it was especially awesome to play (even just an excerpt of) a dating sim in English on the PSP. Hope you guys won't experience too much difficulties with the project. 2015-2016 seems so long.. but I'll definitely be eagerly anticipating. Thanks for this awesome project and keep up the good work!

Unregistered
2012-08-12, 05:59
Hello, just wondering, is the first day of the game long or short??

Unregistered
2012-08-22, 07:57
Hello, just wondering, is the first day of the game long or short??

An hour at most, it's just a teaser you know.

Kimidori
2012-10-21, 03:34
the PSP version is now fully playable on jpcsp. background music, voice and sound played

Kimidori
2012-10-21, 03:44
sorry, just test it a bit more,the background music played but not loop and voice still not work!

Unregistered
2012-12-19, 03:06
just wondering if you guys are still working on this, or if this has been abandoned? really looking forward too it and thank you for all the hard work!

CirqueForge
2012-12-20, 21:48
just wondering if you guys are still working on this, or if this has been abandoned? really looking forward too it and thank you for all the hard work!

We're still working on it. Just haven't updated here in a while because of nothing new really to report since the project is rolling along just fine.

We're at around 8% at the moment. You can check the progress at our IRC channel or on VNTLS at http://vntls.tindabox.net/project/amagami. We try and do monthly updates.

Zorro Guevara
2012-12-24, 08:24
I don't know if you see the message I posted on freesmiler.livejournal :

Hi. I played the game on PSP, I already give my feedback but I have just launched the game.
Anyway, the game work properly until a scene with Umehara behind the school. The game crash.
I tried different patch to work it with my firmware (5.50 Gen D3) but it's all the same.

Thanks for your hardwork ! I hope we'll have the 2nd day :)

Merry Xmas tou you!

CirqueForge
2012-12-26, 08:32
I responded to you in the blog, Zorro.

Unregistered
2013-02-12, 01:38
Will it be free when it is finished?

CirqueForge
2013-02-12, 14:19
Will it be free when it is finished?

Yes, the patch will be free. We can not legally or morally sell the patch, because none of us on the translation project own the rights to the game itself and it has been disclaimed that we are not affiliated with Kadokawa, Enterbrain, or anyone that has been involved in the production of the game and its port. So yes, the patch will be free for download.

The game, however, is not free and is not included with the patch. You will need to get a legal version of the game to apply the patch onto it.

Unregistered
2013-03-18, 02:10
When will this project finished...6-7 months?

CirqueForge
2013-03-18, 11:33
When will this project finished...6-7 months?

Read the thread. The answer in already in here.

Unregistered
2013-04-25, 17:50
Probably you already know about this, there's a project for "open source" translations:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/entrans/

I don't know if it is compatible with Amagami files (I read they're xml mostly), but this is an example:
http://seiba.maidlab.jp/entrans/list.php?file_list=yes&file_id=402&page=1

Maybe if you ask the developers of the project, they might be able to make a version for Amagami xml files too, it would make things a lot faster if it were possible to contribute.

CirqueForge
2013-04-26, 19:42
Probably you already know about this, there's a project for "open source" translations:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/entrans/

I don't know if it is compatible with Amagami files (I read they're xml mostly), but this is an example:
http://seiba.maidlab.jp/entrans/list.php?file_list=yes&file_id=402&page=1

Maybe if you ask the developers of the project, they might be able to make a version for Amagami xml files too, it would make things a lot faster if it were possible to contribute.

I am the leader of the project so I can say that I would not use this system to translate the game. Although our version of translating our scripts to xml is probably compatible with that process, I rather not open-source the translation due to accuracy risks that may happen to the project that has been seen with Fate/Hollow Ataraxia that uses this system. We are working at a rate that would finish this game at the time that we put out that we would be done. Please be patient with us as we work on it.

WelkinDust
2013-07-02, 07:23
I'm so excited for this; Amagami SS is my favorite anime and I've been dying to play the game since I first saw it. I ordered it from PlayAsia last year. But my limited knowledge of Japanese makes it quite difficult! The first day patch is amazing; I can actually figure out the grid system now. I can't wait to play the rest and actually understand it without having to reference Google translate or kanji dictionaries every other line.

Please keep up the great work! I'll be anxiously following your progress. Let me know if I can support or help the project at all. I wonder which will finish first, your English patch or me teaching myself Japanese. >_<

Unregistered
2013-07-10, 04:15
http://vntls.tindabox.net/project/amagami/ is dead now

CirqueForge
2013-07-11, 23:33
http://vntls.tindabox.net/project/amagami/ is dead now

VNTLS moved to a new url. I updated the OP to reflect that.

AmagamiFan
2013-09-26, 00:07
Im confused can someone help i want to download amagami iso to psp and the translate can someone send me links pls?

Jhonny
2013-11-07, 15:45
Hello, I am a big fan of Amagami, and I'm trying to decode the speac files to translate it Portuguese-br. I tried using the manual made ​​by freesmiler but I can not at all. I would ask please if someone took a video showing how it's done extracting the strings, or could pass on xlm files with lines. Sorry for inconvenience. Thank very much.
e-mail: jhonnyas@yahoo.com.br

Unregistered
2013-11-11, 23:07
How do you extract .CPK file ? I have extracted the iso file and what I get is this SCENARIO.CPK instead of SCENARIO.ARC, I'm following the tutorials from freesmiler's livejournal.

Unregistered
2013-11-15, 20:52
This project is dead or alive :(

Unregistered
2013-11-18, 07:28
learn japanese

Cake
2014-01-10, 23:49
Thanks so much for doing this translation project, hope you guys keep up the good work! :D Looking forward to playing this on my psp. Again, I can't stress this enough, thanks so much for all the work you guys have done.

Unregistered
2014-01-23, 18:12
learn japanese

kill yourself :)

Unregistered
2014-01-24, 02:23
Thank you very much for doing this :D
Keep up the good work :D

Unregistered
2014-02-01, 09:46
enjoy your 1st day patch ;)

CirqueForge
2014-02-07, 17:42
Well, with the few of you that are questioning if we are dead or alive. The OP post has been updated to reflect the status of the project. Basically, we've come to the conclusion that the project needs more people to handle the amount of work that is needed to complete it. If you are interested, details to contact us can be found in the blog's "Contact" page.

How do you extract .CPK file ? I have extracted the iso file and what I get is this SCENARIO.CPK instead of SCENARIO.ARC, I'm following the tutorials from freesmiler's livejournal.

The extraction of .CPK files are not covered in freesmiler's guides. The method to do that is pretty public since there are tools that can extract .cpk archives for various other PSP games. We have the process documented in our tools documentation but it is pointless for any reason to release the documentation since it only concerns one edition of the game, and the game assets included in the PSP version are inferior to the ones in the PS2 version, which the extraction process is covered in freesmiler's guide. We won't be releasing technical documentation for the games until after the release of the full game patch.

Unregistered
2014-02-09, 15:36
Well, with the few of you that are questioning if we are dead or alive. The OP post has been updated to reflect the status of the project. Basically, we've come to the conclusion that the project needs more people to handle the amount of work that is needed to complete it. If you are interested, details to contact us can be found in the blog's "Contact" page.

The extraction of .CPK files are not covered in freesmiler's guides. The method to do that is pretty public since there are tools that can extract .cpk archives for various other PSP games. We have the process documented in our tools documentation but it is pointless for any reason to release the documentation since it only concerns one edition of the game, and the game assets included in the PSP version are inferior to the ones in the PS2 version, which the extraction process is covered in freesmiler's guide. We won't be releasing technical documentation for the games until after the release of the full game patch.

Tranks, I appreciate the response, I'll be eagerly waiting for the full patch, then leave the translation to PT-BR. :)

CirqueForge
2014-02-09, 17:22
Tranks, I appreciate the response, I'll be eagerly waiting for the full patch, then leave the translation to PT-BR. :)

Are you talking about translating it into another language other than English? People who are interested in that front can contact us privately for details on stuff like that but for the average person, I believe freesmiler's guide is enough.

Unregistered
2014-03-07, 09:47

I can feel the love

kratoscar2008
2014-03-13, 12:54
Im here to say thanks for the translation work, man 2016 is a long way i hope to live to play the finished translation.

Unregistered
2014-03-14, 15:01
You said that you will release it somewhere in 2015-16 and the full patch will be your next release. My question is, what is the current progress of the project?

kratoscar2008
2014-03-15, 19:39
You said that you will release it somewhere in 2015-16 and the full patch will be your next release. My question is, what is the current progress of the project?

According to this 25%

http://vntls.org/project/amagami/

Unregistered
2014-03-15, 21:15
According to this 25%

http://vntls.org/project/amagami/

But it has been 4 weeks and i still haven't received an update from the project....

CirqueForge
2014-03-29, 15:26

But it has been 4 weeks and i still haven't received an update from the project....

These questions were addressed and answered in the latest blog post.

Nico
2014-04-07, 18:03
Hi guys why don't you ask for help on GBATemp forums? there are a lot of romhackers and people that can translate Japanese there.

Unregistered
2014-04-24, 01:10
if you have some free time after the project end, i hope you translate this faq as well http://game-kouryaku.info/amagami/ :D

CirqueForge
2014-11-06, 21:19
Just an update some stuff in the OP since 9 months is a fairly long time to say anything. And sorry for the extremely late responses on some questions.

Hi guys why don't you ask for help on GBATemp forums? there are a lot of romhackers and people that can translate Japanese there.

As indicated in the OP post, we really only need an extra 1-2 translators at most for speed to quality ratio. There are still technical challenges but it's no trivial thing to do and ask other people to do. In short, we just need time, not more people.

if you have some free time after the project end, i hope you translate this faq as well http://game-kouryaku.info/amagami/ :D

I doubt it since we will be translating the manual for the game and any FAQ/walkthrough is not extremely interesting to us particularly since we can pretty much hack in and play any event we want. But if we do have time, I'll consider asking my translators on if they would want to. I don't make decisions on what content besides the main game will be translated.

Gr8Pio
2014-12-07, 05:40
Hi, I have 2 simple questions... is there any route fully translated? Like u guys have something like 60% translated in Haruka route, but Nanasaki route is fully patched already?
And second. What is the estimated time that u need to fully translate this game?
Thank you in advance for your answers!

Muz
2015-01-12, 08:55
Hello, I just finished the Amagami game, with Haruka route, since I know a bit of Japanese. Does anyone know where to get the ISO for Kimi Kiss? I am currently looking for that game, thanks.

Invictus
2015-09-23, 14:19
Hey, I was wondering if there were any progress on this project. I really want to play this game and have been waiting for an English patch forever.

CirqueForge
2015-11-29, 03:45
Since the forums go up and down without notice and the website in general has been quiet and in some respects, "abandoned", I've migrated the first day patch links to its own page on the blog and made some updates on some other information. This may be the last update I ever do here.

If the place is magically still alive by the time we do our release, I will do a final update here.

And here comes the useless really late replies.

Hi, I have 2 simple questions... is there any route fully translated? Like u guys have something like 60% translated in Haruka route, but Nanasaki route is fully patched already?
And second. What is the estimated time that u need to fully translate this game?
Thank you in advance for your answers!

As indicated by our blog posts, we have as of the date of this post finished all Haruka scripts and Sae scripts.

We do not have a definite ETA for release at this point since our schedule is too erratic to have one and we work in our free time to make this happen. I originally gave some estimates but we may not even complete it by that estimate indicated. I am certainly hoping the project moves much faster from now on.

Hey, I was wondering if there were any progress on this project. I really want to play this game and have been waiting for an English patch forever.

Please check the blog from now on for any updates.