PDA

View Full Version : Aoishiro cel image help

dclives
2012-01-25, 10:53
Hi there,

I recently got Aoishiro which is an all ages, yuri visual novel. There is a full English translation out but unfortunately they neglected to patch the menus to English. Translation images are included but in my opinion it takes away from the experience to need to flip through 15 jpgs just to figure out how to navigate the menus.

To solve this I figured I'd try to fix it myself. I have some experience extracting and repacking images into a visual novel. Only problem is in those novels I was able to extract .png files. In this one the images seem to be .cel files stored in .asf containers. I had no problem extracting them but after a couple hours of experimenting and googling I've had no success in viewing or converting them.

Here is a sample of a few of the .cel files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?re8smejxmm7pa0k

I'm not sure if all of them are images but the file names suggests that they are. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me in dealing with these files.

VDZ
2012-01-25, 11:05
That's the reason the patch doesn't include the translated menus. Using existing tools to extract data (such as menu images) and re-insert that data into the game is easy, but many games (such as Aoishiro) don't have such tools yet. A hacker would have to spend a lot of time reverse engineering the game to figure out how it works technically, and create tools to do that.

So unless you're capable of reverse engineering games or can get someone to hack it for you (for a trivial reason like inserting translated menus), it's probably best to just give up.

nekoyasha
2012-01-25, 22:48
I have a C program that converts those files into .png (see attached sample). It happens to be the same image format used by Popotan for the PS2, which is why I have the converter. If you want, I could give the converter C file (if you're savvy about building C apps in Cygwin or something), or I could port it to Python and write a re-converter, after I finish with my current VN tool commitments. Which might be a while...

Shizuka
2012-02-22, 07:25
Hi there,

I recently got Aoishiro which is an all ages, yuri visual novel. There is a full English translation out but unfortunately they neglected to patch the menus to English. Translation images are included but in my opinion it takes away from the experience to need to flip through 15 jpgs just to figure out how to navigate the menus.

To solve this I figured I'd try to fix it myself. I have some experience extracting and repacking images into a visual novel. Only problem is in those novels I was able to extract .png files. In this one the images seem to be .cel files stored in .asf containers. I had no problem extracting them but after a couple hours of experimenting and googling I've had no success in viewing or converting them.

Here is a sample of a few of the .cel files:

http://www.mediafire.com/?re8smejxmm7pa0k

I'm not sure if all of them are images but the file names suggests that they are. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me in dealing with these files.

AnimED has tools for decoding/extracting Aoishiro's truecolor CEL files, though it does not support repacking them.
I'm not sure what tool can be used to encode CEL files, but I don't want to write a tool for this because I know one should already exist, as the ingame menu is in EN already.

Actually, there are other major issues in the script for Aoi Shiro that are fixable - in particular: line wrapping, choice length, chapter titles, flowchart titles. These issues are all fixable with the Akai Ito tools I wrote a year ago.