PDA

View Full Version : Hello there!

Alrathnasakaria
2009-12-07, 10:30
Hello everyone, just another new person online, short introduction;

First VN was Narcissu, Got me hooked and here I am.

Just lucky I stumbled across this place.

I have only read the free VN's as for now, the ones available on Altogether.

I was interested in the system they used, nscriptor/onscriptor, and I would like to learn more, Not much programming knowledge though. I like the stories and I just thought perhaps this is another cool way to get it out there rather than the Book publishing way.

cheers~

ohyea, Merry Christmas, when it comes!

Sevodax
2009-12-07, 13:24
Welcome, and Merry Christmas! ^_^

Sevodax

Unregistered
2009-12-07, 16:21
Are you talking about works in English or another language, not Japanese?

If so, http://www.renpy.org/ would be a much better idea than nscripter.

Minimoto
2009-12-07, 17:48
Welcome, and merry Christmas to you too.

appztetra
2009-12-07, 19:13
Welcome to the world of vn and have a wonderful christmas!

Agilis
2009-12-07, 19:19
Mm? Just for clarification why are you interested in the engines again?

If you're thinking about doing translations, fiddling with scripts, etc. you'll probably want to hang out with people who play with the stuff. Mion who works on (p)onscript source tends to visit #denpa during evenings on US Eastern time usually, and I know Starchan of Deja Vu occasionally appears.

Mion's onscript api reference is hiding on denpa also... http://denpa.mobi/src/resources/docs/NScrAPI/NScrAPI-framed.xml

If you're looking to make your own game, nscript would drive you crazy more than anything else... go with one of the more well documented engines like renpy or kirikiri or something if you can.

Oh yeah, Hi everyone, I'm still (barely) alive...
8 days until new job.... wktk

Alrathnasakaria
2009-12-08, 09:27
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

After reading some visual novels I just thought it might be a fun project to work on the side of real life. I'll be happy to look through some of the other engines and see what is available/easiest to learn.

Thanks for the info Agilis, I don't intend to fiddle with scripts, as I can't translate, but I do want to try to make a story in my free time.

add: Agilis, I just noticed in your profile that you are working on Narcissu 2nd side. I have actually been waiting for that but it was so long and there was no update on the haeleth site other than the mini demo.

How is that going?

Agilis
2009-12-09, 09:21
Thanks for the info Agilis, I don't intend to fiddle with scripts, as I can't translate, but I do want to try to make a story in my free time.

add: Agilis, I just noticed in your profile that you are working on Narcissu 2nd side. I have actually been waiting for that but it was so long and there was no update on the haeleth site other than the mini demo.

How is that going?

Ah, if you want to write your own, the OEL (original english language (I think)) people at http://www.lemmasoft.net/ would be a good resource for you, there's lots of cross pollination between the gemot here and their forums in terms of members, but there's definitely people who don't overlap. And yeah, stay away from nscript if you're making your own....

As for Narci2, I always said that if I gave signs that I was alive (via posting on gemot, neechin, irc, etc.) that I was working on the project... well, I haven't been very 'alive' lately.

The new job I just got should give me some time back for projects, and I've recently restarted revisions again finally. I even bought a netbook to do bits on the train during my commute! Previously, I was merely desperate to get an extra 40 minutes of dozing on the train, regardless of whether I had a seat or not...

Haeleth's been AWOL for most of the year, I imagine the economy and life has hit him harder than it had for me in these times. Because of that, I've taken over the entire project in terms of being responsible for getting the release out the door (with plenty of help of course).

I haven't bothered with making web pages or doing pointless announcements about all this, but I suppose that's roughly the status of things.

Alrathnasakaria
2009-12-09, 19:02
Thanks, I will look through what they have there.

A pity for the status of Narcissu 2, but I guess that is just how cruel the world is. Thanks again.

Good luck on the new job, stay healthy. I know the feeling of having no income ( my current situation !). If I become rich, i'll try to help out. hahaha.

Cheers

Pantamorph
2009-12-10, 23:45
Hi Alrathnasakaria, weclome to the forums. If you need any help, contact me, I'll be glad to help you with ONScripter!