PDA

View Full Version : Working with Images in .wip Format

Madame_Yes
2009-09-16, 19:54
Hello,

Longtime reader, first time poster. :) I've begun a translation of the game "Under the Moon" from Will's Sugarbeans label. I'll be upfront and say I'm more of a translator than a hacker, so bear with me. By following the directions in this thread:

http://forums.novelnews.net/showthread.php?t=35575

I've managed to extract the scripts (in .wsc format) from the game and successfully reinsert translated text. So there's one small victory! My next challenge is the game's images. Using the same tool as in the thread above, I've extracted the images from the game and have come up with a series of .wip, .msk, and .anm files. What on earth do I do with these?

I've found a few different tools that will convert the .wip files into .jpgs or .bmps, so theoretically editing them shouldn't be a problem. The problem comes from repacking these files back into Chip.arc for the game. Is there any tool out there for converting the images back into their native .wip format, so they can be repacked?

Or, is there overall some better way of editing the images that I've completely missed?

Thank you very much for your time!

Unregistered
2009-09-16, 21:27
I suggest you to upload those tools and some wip samples, you'll increase the chances of someone helping you.

dsp2003
2009-09-16, 22:24
Err... actually, we've decoded the wip/msk files successfully (they can be opened via Image Tool tabsheet, but beware - AnimED only shows the first image -- wip files are multi-image in several cases). ^_^ It's possible to write decompiler\combiner tool for them (it uses your average LZSS implementation for compression) -- use our sources. Maybe i'll write it myself, but currently don't have much time.

P.S. Don't forget to get the latest version.

Madame_Yes
2009-09-17, 11:10
Hello!

Thanks for the replies. ^_^ My AnimED is version 0.6.5.367, so it's not the latest. Unfortunately, I get a 404 error when I try to download the latest version. Is the newest one mirrored somewhere? In my version, the .wip files come up as unsupported in the Image Tool, so I look forward to trying out the newest version and seeing what it can do.

The tools I previously used to convert the .wip images into other formats were Crass and Linar + Susie's Will plugin. I haven't found any information about converting the images back into .wip once edited. I'm even more uncertain about how to handle the .anm files. These are the animations used for things like button rollovers. I can snag the .wip files that are used in the animations - but how to edit and then reanimate them is the question.

If I had the ability to write a decompiler/combiner, I would, but programming is a complete mystery to me. 'LZSS compression ' = bwuh? I'm thankful that others are skilled and create tools for bumbling translators like me to use.

Thanks again for the help so far!

Serke
2009-09-17, 12:30
AnimED 0.6.8.404 Hinata Unicode SVN Snapshot (full version + sources)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ziz3tnttj2j/core_uni.rar

dsp2003
2009-09-17, 12:34
My AnimED is version 0.6.5.367, so it's not the latest. Unfortunately, I get a 404 error when I try to download the latest version.
Hmm... that's strange. Please try this direct link (http://ever17.narod.ru/core_uni.rar). I've just checked and the file is there.

Madame_Yes
2009-09-17, 18:41
Thanks for the links! The newer AnimED works great for everything but the .anm files (still no idea how to handle those). It's even easier to batch convert everything into a format that can be edited.

Though there's still that sticky part of converting back. ^^

Madame_Yes
2009-09-18, 11:16
Okay, so small update:

The newest AnimED works like a charm for batch conversion of the .wip files into other formats. And, as dsp2003 pointed out, for .wip files that are multi-image (and they ARE in there) only the first image is pulled out. I can, however, use Crass to pull out the multi-image .wip files into bitmaps.

The .msk files are just masks that can be edited in Photoshop, so they're no worry. Also, the bit of investigative work I did on the .anm files (I could find out what they were composed of, but not extract the information) shows me that they're simply animated buttons and the like. No need to edit them. Things like "Yes" and "No" buttons exist as the multi-image .wip files, so I can pull them out to translate/edit. Just not convert back.

With all that, I'm just back to my original state with the .wip files. Basically, I can extract and edit the images. All I need is some method to change images back into .wip format so that they can be repacked. Then I'm good to go!

Any help or recommendations on a program with that capability are greatly appreciated. ^_^

Thanks!

Unregistered
2010-07-17, 06:50
If anyone finds out a solution to this problem, I'll be very thankful as well. So far, I only know of Assage which is part of Crass and can be used for repacking, but it's been a problem finding it as the makers have put updates for that off until Crage is more stabilised.

Thanks in advance