PDA

View Full Version : Help with translation (editing the game script)

Bluefire101
2008-05-20, 16:42
First, to start it off, I'd like to say hello to all you people here :)

Second:

I have started a translation project and I need to know one thing:

How would I go at replacing Japanese script with English script in a game ? I have extracted 1800 lines of text from "ttp://www.getchu.com/soft.phtml?id=480885 and translated about 100 lines of it, and would like to know many general ways of replacing script.

Anything that can help would really boost me here.

zalas
2008-05-20, 23:10
There is no general way to replace text in a game (as of now). If you're lucky, it uses an engine that someone has figured out previously. If you're unlucky, you'll need to convince someone to sit down with the game engine and reverse engineer it. Are you from 2ch?

EchoMateria
2008-05-21, 01:56
If you were able to extract the text from the actual game installation, you can try to reverse the process and compile those files again while replacing bits with the ones you translated. Then you can overwrite your new files on the ones in the games installation directory and see if it works.

While an being unsightly method, it still works (in most cases, not every game) if you don't have a coder to write you a patcher.

Info about this game in English: Zansho Omimai Moushiagemasu. ~Kimi to Sugoshita Ano Hi to Ima to~ (http://vndb.org/v625)

Asceai
2008-05-21, 02:07
Give us a listing of all the files in the game directory. Maybe that'll provide some clues.

Bluefire101
2008-05-21, 03:43
Are you from 2ch?

No

Give us a listing of all the files in the game directory. Maybe that'll provide some clues.

There are the following files in the directory.

OGG.txt
README.txt

RIO.ini
SETUP.ini

SETUP.dll

The next are probably the game files.

ZANSH_D.WAR
ZANSH_G1.WAR
ZANSH_G2.WAR
ZANSH_M.WAR
ZANSH_S.WAR
ZANSH_T.WAR
ZANSH_V1.WAR
ZANSH_V2.WAR

Then theres an MPG video of the opening in there and the exe to run the game and an exe to uninstall the game.

Unregistered
2008-05-23, 19:24
hmm i'm going to make a 'wild' assumption that those aren't just renamed JAR files <.<

Bluefire101
2008-05-23, 21:15
Nope, thats the way they were when they were installed.

Unregistered
2008-05-24, 11:02
i was referring to the wikipedia page on .WAR files :p

Bluefire101
2008-05-24, 12:48
Lol, woops my bad sorry about that.

By the way, is there any way to extract from .pak files easily (eg theres a file called Script.pak in another of the H games I have)

zalas
2008-05-25, 00:17
You'll learn that generic file extensions like 'pac' or 'pak' have almost no bearing on how they can be decompressed. Asking about how to decompress a file generally requires knowing which game it's from or what engine it uses, not the name of the extension. Only sometimes can extension names give a hint as to what the engine might be.

Asceai
2008-05-25, 00:37
I always ask for a listing of the files anyway. Never know whether or not it's going to have an 'nscript.dat', 'data.xp3', 'SEEN.TXT' or 'ISF' in the directory =p

Bluefire101
2008-05-25, 09:58
I heard that you can identify a file from using a hex editor to find the header of the file, am I right ?

(Btw its not 1800 lines of text anymore, its now 2200)