PDA

View Full Version : Haruhi PSP file format

koko775
2008-03-02, 01:13
This is for the PSP Haruhi game, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku.

Here's a script, and a quick summary of the problem:
If I get the addys wrong, it's because I'm tired. smile.gif

The only two fixed values I know of in every script are at 0x0000004 and 9/ The format is little endian. The first one is the total size of the file, either for LBA purposes or memory allocation. Not sure which. The second value is important, though I'm not quite sure what it does. I do know that both pointers are length based. Pretty sure at least.

Now you'll see something like this:

har001010010 X

har001010010 signifies which sound file to use. X is a hex number, which gives the total character length of the dialogue. 0A in hex signifies a newline, of course, which you'll find throughout the file.

Our problem is that adding or subtracting bytes from the file at places where text can be added in crashes or causes the game to act wierd. We know it's a pointer issue, and we know we're stepping on data when we edit, but we're stumped as to what we can do.

Seeing as how I'm a total newbie to script editing, can anyone offer help?

I don't have a clue what engine this is, but it's probably some proprietary or not-well-known engine. In any case, I wouldn't be able to tell. I don't know anything about the file format except what's posted above. I don't know how to use VASTT, but I'm willing to learn.

Thanks in advance,
koko775

Rasqual Twilight
2008-03-02, 04:47
When hacking a ROM, the strings to translate can be referred to as memory locations containing the original text.

You then have two options:
Either you can fit your replacement text into the original space (e.g. 'condensed' languages such as Chinese), or you need to point the memory location to another place with your own text, because sentence are typically longer in the target language (e.g. Finnish).

After you replaced the memory references to point to the desired location, it does not solve all layout issues (see early posts at sos-dan forums) such as fitting text in the message box but proves text may be replaced.
The best solution would be to figure out how the script system works and write recompiler(s) so that you can split messages into more panels if necessary.

koko775
2008-03-02, 04:59
I agree (and know that much), and that's exactly what I'm asking about. I'm a regular at the sos-dan forums, so I know what you mean about layout problems. I don't have the eye to figure out the format (yet); if anyone else could lend a hand (or rather, some eyes) in figuring out the format, we would be grateful.

Rasqual Twilight
2008-03-02, 09:30
I thought Babazoz had figured a way to reinsert text. Wasn't the patch released in early alpha form? What is there more to study ?

koko775
2008-03-02, 12:24
He hasn't filled me in on much yet, but inserting new text in certain areas seems to cause errors. Replacing it seems to be OK. But for particularly meaningful text that requires a lot of text, he hasn't figured out how to insert text, it seems.

zalas
2008-03-02, 12:35
What koko775 means here is that the original patch would only allow for text as long as the original. Thus, when the Japanese becomes more descriptive than the English, the English text won't fit.

koko775
2008-03-02, 12:49
Right, exactly. Thanks, Zalas.