PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Programmer: Fortune Arterial (Demo Release)

Tremalkinger
2008-02-25, 07:57
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7b/Fortune_Arterial_logo.jpg/275px-Fortune_Arterial_logo.jpg (http://august-soft.com/fa/index.html)

Fortune Arterial (http://august-soft.com/fa/index.html) by August

It's one month after Fortune Arterial was released! Our project is progressing smoothly, we have four translators working and a full seven days (20,000 words) translated and edited. We're requesting a programmer that can take our lovingly crafted text and put them back into the game, as well as either create a patch to install those new data files, or (preferably) just release the whole thing as a standalone executable via bittorrent.

Our goal for right now is to finish translating the next six days to complete the demo, and release that to drum up interest and more staff. There's no real deadline, but sooner is always better.

Here's a link (http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Fortune_Arterial_Fan_Translation) to our project page.

And a link (http://kokoron.madoka.org/mirror/august.html) to a mirror for the demo itself.

My email is tremalkinger at gmail. Send me an email to apply!

よろしくお願いします~!

Unregistered
2008-02-25, 14:57
"or (preferably) just release the whole thing as a standalone executable via bittorrent."

In before shitstorm. Unless you are only going to release a translation for the demo, and not the full game. If so, in before shitstorm again, but not from here.
I remember passing over this scratchpad wiki the day you put it up. Nice to see things are coming along smoothly.

Asceai
2008-02-25, 16:47
In before shitstorm. Unless you are only going to release a translation for the demo, and not the full game. If so, in before shitstorm again, but not from here.
I remember passing over this scratchpad wiki the day you put it up. Nice to see things are coming along smoothly.

No shitstorm. The thread starter is talking about a demo translation.

EDIT: Oh, silly me, you already mentioned that. =p

ChocoEd
2008-02-25, 22:00
It's probably not a useful comment in this case, but just in general for future projects it's always good to involve the programmer at the very beginning, to do the script extraction in a way in which it will be easy/possible to reinsert automatically later on.

Otherwise you sometimes end up with needing to copy-paste a few thousand lines one at a time to match everything back up again, instead of just having your translators effectively edit everything in-place.

Unregistered
2008-02-25, 23:10
"or (preferably) just release the whole thing as a standalone executable via bittorrent."

Yes, its just a publicly available demo we're releasing.

Asceai
2008-02-26, 00:33
It's probably not a useful comment in this case, but just in general for future projects it's always good to involve the programmer at the very beginning, to do the script extraction in a way in which it will be easy/possible to reinsert automatically later on.

Otherwise you sometimes end up with needing to copy-paste a few thousand lines one at a time to match everything back up again, instead of just having your translators effectively edit everything in-place.

Well, I prefer to get the text replacement working from the very beginning just because it feels good to play the game and see the translated text =p

Unregistered
2008-02-26, 18:45
Well, I prefer to get the text replacement working from the very beginning just because it feels good to play the game and see the translated text =p

I would have loved to get a programmer involved from the start, but I made the decision to get a large chunk of work done to show that we're serious and dedicated. I wouldn't expect someone to invest their time in developing tools for us if the project was going to fall apart a few days in.

Hopefully the wealth of material we've translated is enough to convince someone that we're serious and committed, and deserving of the work it takes ^_^

Tremalkinger
2008-02-26, 18:50
Ah, whoops. The two unregistereds above are me.

In any event, from my relatively uninformed position, I think we've got a decent setup. Here's what I'm thinking for a process.

1) Copy and paste the text out of the wiki into a text file.
2) Create a script to parse the file. First delete all lines which start with //
3) Next, delete every other line.
4) On lines which contain a colon, break off the part before the colon and insert the markup that indicates its a name. (might get a few false positives here, but we can fix that)
5) Repackage the data files.

I'm not certain how difficult that all is, especially the last step. I've already seen someone capable of at least reading the files in a plain text format.

I haven't received any emails yet, so the position is very open. We need your help, technical folks, and this world needs more quality VN translations!

~trem

roxfan
2008-02-27, 14:01
How did you extract the original text?

Asceai
2008-02-27, 14:08
you know, I'm not going to make myself available to become a member of the project. I've got far too much on my plate for that and don't really want to increase the number of communication channels I have to care about. But I _will_ look at this demo from the point of view of replacing text, and may possibly at some stage release some tools for that purpose. No promises at all, though; if an actual programmer who can actually program responds, go with them.

Unregistered
2008-02-27, 18:55
I was the one who extracted the text and sent samples to Tremalkinger. All I used was ExtractData on data01000.arc which gave files named fa* Opened up the files in notepad for kicks and saw that most of the file is gibberish, which I'm assuming at this point is a compiled script. However, near the end of the file there is the game text there. So I guess that the first order of business is to decompile the script for any feasible text insertion to occur. I also looked at the archived used since you would have to reinsert the scripts back into the archive. The archives have a "PackFile" signature at the beginning of the file: 0x5061 0x636B 0x4669 0x6C65. Then followed by what I guess is the index position.

At this point, that's all I know and don't know how to proceed. Also I was offered the programmer position by Tremalkinger but frankly, I know nothing about hacking VN game engines since my university doesn't offer a class on it. :) Also, I don't want to slow down the project while I try to figure stuff out and there's no guarantees that I will figure anything out at all.

Anyways, for those interested, here is the actual script:
http://download.yousendit.com/FE89F75C3FFB4B51

And here is my cleaned up version with only text:
http://download.yousendit.com/FAFE71336FAE1D7E

Tremalkinger
2008-02-27, 20:56
How did you extract the original text?

Anime Games Text Hooker using Open Office's clipboard monitoring feature.

you know, I'm not going to make myself available to become a member of the project. I've got far too much on my plate for that and don't really want to increase the number of communication channels I have to care about. But I _will_ look at this demo from the point of view of replacing text, and may possibly at some stage release some tools for that purpose. No promises at all, though; if an actual programmer who can actually program responds, go with them.

Yay! Thank you. Let me know what you find out. Haven't had any responses beyond this, so any help is appreciated.

rednaxela
2008-02-27, 22:11
so maybe i'm late?
anyway, anyone interested could take a look at one of my blog posts here:
http://rednaxelafx.javaeye.com/blog/165721

it's a C# program that handles text extraction and insertion. for the extraction part, it works on script files extracted from the original archive by some other tool (use ExtractData in case you don't have this other tool).

i wrote other tools for packing things back into an archive, which was done during the Chinese Yoakemaeyoriruriirona project (already done, patch released).

yeah, well, i was on a project of translating FA's demo into Chinese, and it's almost done now.

-----------------

edited: oh, and almost forgot. half-width characters are not tested, so i dunno what's gonna happen if you pack half-width characters into the game.
there are a few places where you can put the edited resource files(be it script or image files) that the game executable will read before the archives. which means, you don't have to pack things into archive to get the edited stuff show up in the game. the paths are specified in one of the *._bp files in system.arc, i forgot the file name though.
the easiest path to put those edited stuff would be the game's installation directory. put the script files with reinserted text (without file name extensions), and image files edited (in 32bpp BMPs, without file name extensions) along side with BGI.exe, and there you got it.

jtle
2008-02-27, 22:25
so maybe i'm late?
anyway, anyone interested could take a look at one of my blog posts here:
http://rednaxelafx.javaeye.com/blog/165721

it's a C# program that handles text extraction and insertion. for the extraction part, it works on script files extracted from the original archive by some other tool (use ExtractData in case you don't have this other tool).

i wrote other tools for packing things back into an archive, which was done during the Chinese Yoakemaeyoriruriirona project (already done, patch released).

yeah, well, i was on a project of translating FA's demo into Chinese, and it's almost done now.

That is great news. I had originally posted here as to where I was with hacking this game but unfortunately, I was logged out and my post is currently pending moderator approval. There wasn't much progress to tell the truth.

kouryuu
2008-02-28, 16:34
I was the one who extracted the text and sent samples to Tremalkinger. All I used was ExtractData on data01000.arc which gave files named fa* Opened up the files in notepad for kicks and saw that most of the file is gibberish, which I'm assuming at this point is a compiled script. However, near the end of the file there is the game text there.

Haha, Oh wow, this is nostalgic. I tried the same, and got the exact same for the Comic Party Scripts when my group was first looking at working on that game a while back. ... And we still never got any further than that. Then again we couldn't get at the images to edit them either which is another reason that project died before starting. Too many of the menus needed a lot of image editing.

Well, if you find a way to get the scripts both out and back in let me know, I'll see if it can work on Comic Party too.

jtle
2008-02-28, 18:13
Haha, Oh wow, this is nostalgic. I tried the same, and got the exact same for the Comic Party Scripts when my group was first looking at working on that game a while back. ... And we still never got any further than that. Then again we couldn't get at the images to edit them either which is another reason that project died before starting. Too many of the menus needed a lot of image editing.

Well, if you find a way to get the scripts both out and back in let me know, I'll see if it can work on Comic Party too.

Well that Unregistered was me and with the program that rednaxela provided, the scripts can be decoded and recoded. The problem is now with half-width characters, as rednaxela pointed out, so longer text will get cut off. You could try using his program but I doubt it would work unless Comic Party uses the game engine as Fortune Arterial but hey, if it does work, that is great.

rednaxela
2008-02-28, 19:39
My program is currently for Fortune Arterial only, haven't tried it out on other BGI games yet, but what I'm sure of is that games before (included) Itsuka Todoku Anosorani aren't compatible.

====================================================

Here's a list of games using Ethornell/BGI engine:

Ethronell/Buriko General Interpreter

[20021220][CLOVER] モルダヴァイト

[20021220][CLOVER] さよらなエトランジュ

[20021220][CLOVER] プラチナウインド ~星の詩が聞こえたら~

[20030815][ORBIT-CACTUS] Lamb -ラム-

[20031212][CLOVER] ている·ている

[20040326][ZiP] Purism×Egoist

[20041029][SPEED] 銀行淫 ~堕ちゆく女達~

[20050617][るんるんそふと] 映研企画

[20050922][AUGUST] 夜明け前より瑠璃色な
ver 1.63 ( build 396.2e ) with Wave Master

[20051028][Art] Heaven's Cage

[20051125][Lump of Sugar] Nursery Rhyme -ナーサリィ☆ライム-

[20060217][Art] こすちゅーむ☆ぷれいやー
ver 1.64 ( build 400.4 ) with Wave Master

[20060331][P-FACTORY] あの街の恋の詩

[20060623][枕] H2O ~FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND~
ver 1.64 ( build 412.2 ) with Wave Master

[20070126][Lump of Sugar] いつか、届く、あの空に。
ver 1.66 ( build 429.2 ) with Wave Master

[20070629][銀時計] こいとれ ~REN-AI TRAINING~
ver 1.66 ( build 430 ) with Wave Master

--------BURIKO Co.,Ltd建立--------

[20071122][OVERDRIVE] キラ☆キラ
ver 1.69 ( build 436.2 ) with Wave Master

[2007xxxx][AUGUST] FORTUNE ARTERIAL 体験版
ver 1.69 ( build 437 ) with Wave Master

[20080125][AUGUST] FORTUNE ARTERIAL
ver 1.69 ( build 438.1 ) with Wave Master

[2008未定][Lump of Sugar] タユタマ -kiss on my deity-

The bytecode (or dword code) format used by BGI changes often. Seldom does it stay the same over different games. From what I know, the format was almost the same in Yoakemaeyoriruriirona and H2O, but in Itsuka Todoku Anosorani it changed a bit, and then in the more recent titles it changed again. So I had to write different tools every time, geez.

As for Comic Party, it's not worth trying using that C# program I provided. It used Leaf's on engine, totally different from BGIs. But if anyone is to try to make a program to do the job, the basic structure of the program would be similar to the one I gave.

jtle
2008-02-29, 00:05
Hmm anyone know how to stop long lines of text from clipping? Like in this screenshot:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4920/screennr2.jpg

For reference, the complete line is: "The pupils of her eyes, once colored like the sapphire of a tranquil lake, are now transformed to a sanguine ruby." Oh, I also edited the recompiler so that it creates a ASCII?, codepage 1252, output instead of the gbk (936) one.

rednaxela
2008-02-29, 01:06
Does this have anything to do with the half-width comma (',')? From the screenshot that's my best bet.
Perhaps you'll have to hack the executable a little bit to get this right, I'm not sure. Don't have the demo right now.

jtle
2008-02-29, 01:22
Ohhh, that might be it. I'll have to check up on that. I'm just testing this on the full game right now. Haven't downloaded the demo since I already have the full game on hand. I think the first week or so should be the exact same for the demo and the full game.

EDIT: Just tried it out again and yes it is the comma that is causing the problem.

Tremalkinger_
2008-03-17, 10:00
Shameless self-bump.

Still looking.

Enerccio
2008-05-04, 10:48
any news on demo?