PDA

View Full Version : Crash course in programming

Spitze
2007-09-10, 05:10
Help! I'm writing a short visual novel for my semester project in Lit (university-level), but I don't know where to begin. Can someone point to me a crash course so I can get on a good start?

zalas
2007-09-10, 08:21
This might be a good place to start:
http://www.lemmasoft.net/projects_devcenter.html

Asceai too lazy to log in
2007-09-10, 15:16
Yeah, go with Ren'py. I've seen some people talking about using (o)nscripter to make their own visual novel from scratch, but seriously you don't want to do that.

Spitze
2007-09-10, 16:13
ONscripter would take too long, is that it? I have, until around the first week of October to produce this.

Unregistered
2007-09-10, 16:20
More like nscripter is old, the syntax cryptic and quite frankly it's one of the worst programming languages I've seen.

Starchanchan
2007-09-10, 18:36
If you don't know anything about the system, don't go with ONScripter. The reason I'm making Echoes with it is because it's the only one I'm familiar with, and there's still a lot of more complicated stuff I don't know. But if you don't know the programming language, it's fairly tricky at a glance.

-
2007-09-11, 10:04
Structurally, ONscripter isn't bad (I find it very similar to BASIC), but it's painful if you want to do complex things, and its expandibility is pretty much zero. Also, if you want to write a VN from scratch I would seriously suggest going with an engine that supports proportional text, which ONscripter does not.

Ren'Py is fine, its syntax is logical and you can expand it as much as you want with Python. And the big advantage it has over other modern VN engines is that it has good *English* documentation.

Dizzy Gear
2007-09-25, 05:46
Ohhh, very nice. I'll have to look into that myself. I myself am producing a doujin game, but mine is going to be more professional-ized, considering I'm gonna try to sell it at Otakon 2008. =3

I was looking at ONScripter, and cocked my head to the side and raised an eyebrow. Definitely not user-friendly looking, especially when I was trying to backwards learn how to use that engine. xD

Spitze
2007-09-27, 06:11
ren'py seems to be for the ADV format. I'm looking for the kind where the text is superimposed over the image (see Tsukihime).

Asceai
2007-09-27, 06:12
Ren'py can do NVL too! For an example of this in action, see Binary Hearts.

Spitze
2007-09-27, 15:51
What does NVL stand for?

Asceai
2007-09-27, 15:58
NoVeL, I guess. It's the full-text display mode that you're thinking of (used in things like Fate/stay Night, Tsukihime, Kana et. al) as opposed to ADV/AVG mode (Kanon, ONE etc.)

Spitze
2007-09-27, 23:53
Good. I'm going to retell a classic story in the vein of a psychological thriller. I'm still picking up on how to program. That's the ugly part. The writing, I think, I can do in 2-3 days if I go nonstop.

I don't know how I'll deal with the character portraits though. Either I draw or I get someone to provide portraits for me.

EDIT: Btw, can the text formatting in Narcissu be replicated for ren'py?

DaFool
2007-09-28, 05:24
I suppose you can get the Narcissu look-feel if you got the right font. But I think part of its appeal is the ONSCRIPTER nonproportional text.

If your project really is due in October, you have no choice but to use premade packs:

http://renpy.org/wiki/community/Resource_Links

Spitze
2007-10-10, 04:48
I couldn't program in time, but I wrote up a paper in its place. I think I'll cook up a simple version of my project over the sembreak; 4 weeks.