PDA

View Full Version : Bugfix patches for Kana Little Sister and Castle Fantasia 2 R

Serke
2007-08-22, 04:14
I've made two bugfix patches, one for Kana Little Sister (fixes the notorious BGM bug) and the other for Castle Fantasia 2 Renewal (fixes the bug that causes the game to crash randomly when PCM is used - the bug is present in Japanese versions (ver.1.00 and ver.1.01) and inherited by English version by BTAxis). Just wanted to know if anybody here could be possibly interested in these patches. I don't suppose they could be put on VisualNews since there's no appropriate section for such patches on the site.

EDIT (10.10.2009):

For the latest version of Kana -Little Sister- BGM patch, look here. (http://forums.novelnews.net/showpost.php?p=63871&postcount=32)
You can get Castle Fantasia 2 Renewal patch here. (http://rapidshare.com/files/74645355/CF2R_Bugfix_Patch.zip.html)

garren
2007-08-24, 12:37
really? i am interested in bug fix patch for castle fantasia 2 renewal. could you send me one? i'll pm u my email address.

garren
2007-08-26, 12:37
thought i give my feedback to you about castle fantasia 2 renewal. the patch is great! i no longer bump into those annyoing crash caused by ntdll.dll xD

thank you very much!

Unregistered
2007-09-10, 16:34
would you mind posting it or uploading it on some link? im sure loads would love to have it :)

Misu
2007-09-10, 16:38
Yeah, for now Serke, just upload both patches as attachments to the forums.

Sorry for not responding to your PM promptly, been out of internet and fairly busy the last two weeks.

Serke
2007-09-10, 17:51
Misu
Well, there is a problem: the size of each of the files slightly exceeds the forum's max filesize limit.

inferno
2007-09-11, 15:27
The CF2R patch really helped me out. Before patching my game crashed a lot. Now it crashed only once while I played the aria route.

Here are several more tips that may help you run CF2R without crashes:

- Set CF2.exe to run in Windows98/ME compatibility mode
- Run the program with AppLocale(I used AppLocale) or set your system to JP unicode.

Launcher Settings
- "Fullscreen", "16-bit color", and "Use Software Rendering" Enabled.
OR
- "Use Software Rendering" with everything else disabled for window mode.

Sound Settings
- All sound enabled, "Music source = PCM", and "Voice Skip = Validate enabled"

Window Color Settings
- Use the default settings

Effects
- Characters = "Use transition blending", "Smooth Edges" Enabled. Background = "Use transition blending" enabled.
- Disable all options when lots of crashes still occur

Misu
2007-09-14, 13:08
Patch for CF2:
http://downloads.visualnews.net/patches/CF2R_Bugfix_Patch.zip

Kanna patch coming soon.

Unregistered
2007-09-15, 13:48
I'm really interested in a patch to Kana. No background music!

Merchant
2007-09-15, 14:18
Hi there.

Is there a bugfix for background music in Kana Little Sister? Could you please upload a fix if you got one? Would like to play the game with music!

Thanks in advance!

Serke
2007-09-15, 16:09
Hi there.

Is there a bugfix for background music in Kana Little Sister? Could you please upload a fix if you got one? Would like to play the game with music!

Thanks in advance!

Please try the prepatched exe:
http://rapidshare.com/files/55654417/KANAUS.zip.html

and after that please leave a feedback. It looks like the patch is unable to solve the problem in some cases (even though there's clearly a bug in the game that prevents BGM from playing and the patch fixes it). I'm trying to find the cause of it but considering that I was unable to reproduce the problem with BGM not working in patched game on my 2 PCs... well, to be honest, my chances of succeeding in this are pretty slim. So for now I'd like to gather some sort of statistics if possible.

radware59
2007-10-06, 03:23
Thanks for the castle fantasia patch, I wasn't really looking for it but it might come in handy later.
About Kana music problem, I believe that problem only occurs if you play using a cd image on a virtual drive instead of the original cd.
The game tries to read the music from your true cd/dvd drive.
To correct this, reassign the virtual drive letter as the first cd drive.

Unregistered
2007-10-14, 13:17
do you think you could try posting the bgm fix patch somewhere? I tried the posted patch but that didn't work...

Serke
2007-10-23, 05:31
I'm currently working on a new patch (which is actually more like a hack) that will 'teach' Kana to play compressed audio (OGG, MP3) and/or WAVs. It will use SDL_mixer library functions to play its music instead of MCI commands that original game uses to play CD-DA. You'll have to rip the audio tracks, convert them to the desired format and place all the audio files in 'CD' subdirectory in your game directory. Hopefully that will solve the BGM problem once and for all.

Unregistered
2007-10-28, 21:10
Hello, I tried your patch for kana but it did not work and the cd drive was set to the first one. Good luck on finishing the patch.

Serke
2007-10-29, 11:34
Good luck on finishing the patch.
Thanks.

The patch is almost finished. There are still things to be done, some minor problems to be solved and it goes without saying that it requires thorough testing, but the important things is – it works.

I'll be obliged if you (or somebody else for whom my previous patch didn't work) try the recent build:

[Link removed: the version of the patch is outdated.]

In the archive you'll find the following files:

kanaus.exe
libogg-0.dll
libvorbis-0.dll
libvorbisfile-3.dll
sdl_mixer.dll
smpeg.dll
sdl.dll

How to install the patch:

1. Copy the files to your Kana directory (don't forget to create a backup copy of your original 'kanaus.exe' file first!)
2. Create 'CD' subdirectory in your game's directory.
3. Convert Kana's CD-DA music to ogg (you can use CDEx for this), rename the files to 'track02.ogg' through 'track17.ogg' then move the files to the 'CD' subdirectory that you created.

Please make sure that you have CD with the game in your CD-drive before starting the game because if you don't, the game most likely will crash. This is not exactly a bug, but rather a particular feature of the build. >_<

[EDIT: Please keep in mind that this is *NOT* a release version of the patch]

Unregistered
2007-11-03, 12:28
yayyyyyy!!!!!! it worked!!!!!!!!! thank you sooooo much for this!!!!!!

Unregistered
2007-12-05, 21:42
can anyone repost a link for the fixed CF2 patch ?? the current link isn't working

Serke
2007-12-06, 01:48
can anyone repost a link for the fixed CF2 patch ?? the current link isn't working
Sure.
http://rapidshare.com/files/74645355/CF2R_Bugfix_Patch.zip.html

Dan
2007-12-06, 18:11
Sure.
http://rapidshare.com/files/74645355/CF2R_Bugfix_Patch.zip.html

thank you very much.. but the link isn't working, it says Download session invalid, can you upload it in another way than rapidshare ?

sorry for the bother truly.. and do you sometimes get lags in any battles in the game ?, happens alot with me although my system is on the latest hardware

Dan
2007-12-06, 18:27
no need to upload it again, thanks!

i just tried again for like the 6th time and it finally worked

thanks again

BTW- i tried putting everything to the low setting and the battle still lag sometimes

HashiriyaR32
2007-12-10, 17:44
I'm currently working on a new patch (which is actually more like a hack) that will 'teach' Kana to play compressed audio (OGG, MP3) and/or WAVs. It will use SDL_mixer library functions to play its music instead of MCI commands that original game uses to play CD-DA. You'll have to rip the audio tracks, convert them to the desired format and place all the audio files in 'CD' subdirectory in your game directory. Hopefully that will solve the BGM problem once and for all.

Looks like it means I'll be able to toss a couple of the old BGMs and replace them with my selections. Keep up the good work.

Zero
2007-12-15, 18:33
Great patch for Kana Little Sister, Serke. I don't have the BGM problem on my current computer, but I've dealt with it before. However, I was able to replicate the problem, and your patch got the BGM to play.

I have two sites for Kana Little Sister, and on one of them I have a troubleshooting page. I've written alternate solutions for the BGM problem, but I'd like to also add your patch as another solution since it works so well. So with your permission, I'd like to add the kana_sdl.rar and your instructions to my site. Would that be alright?

You can find my troubleshooting page here:

http://www.the-z-projects.com/kana/misc/troubleshooting.htm

Unregistered
2008-01-18, 22:06
Can somebody please upload the the music files in ogg format since i don't have the game and can't rip the tracks myself.

Serke
2008-01-21, 11:07
I've written alternate solutions for the BGM problem, but I'd like to also add your patch as another solution since it works so well. So with your permission, I'd like to add the kana_sdl.rar and your instructions to my site. Would that be alright?

You can find my troubleshooting page here:

http://www.the-z-projects.com/kana/misc/troubleshooting.htm
Actually, you didn't even have to ask for my permission. I didn't make the patch so that nobody would use it, so my answer is 'yes, of course, it would only make me, one of the loyal Kana's fans, happier'.

I checked your site and I liked it a lot. Keep up the great work!

P.S. BTW, not only OGG format is supported in the patch, but also MP3 and WAV.

Zero
2008-01-21, 20:54
Thanks, Serke. I didn't think that you would say no, but I thought it would be good to still ask you. Afterall, it is your patch. =)

I'm glad you like my site. I'll be sure to make a note about the MP3 and WAV format.

Rasqual Twilight
2008-01-22, 01:10
Actually, you didn't even have to ask for my permission. I didn't make the patch so that nobody would use it, so my answer is 'yes, of course, it would only make me, one of the loyal Kana's fans, happier'.

<sarcasm>
Oh, shit, I don't have to rip cards or destroy CDs? I though it was the norm, now
</sarcasm>

Serke
2008-01-22, 18:41
Sorry to disappoint you guys, but no breaking CDs this time. Don't get depressed over it though as this is only a WIP, not the final version. I'll make up for it by arranging a grandiose CD breaking fest when the final version is ready, I promise.

j/k. ^__^

Oscar
2008-01-26, 15:14
Hey I have just finished Kana - Little sister - for the first time, what a good graphic novel, I loved it, lucky me I got first the "LIVE NOW" ending and the "BEST ENDING" the second time, I was very sad in the meanwhile between them, but now I'm smiling thinking of what could have passed after that "FIRST FAREWELL" maybe the "FIRST MEETING AS LOVERS" oh yeah, I love this game, I feel like a princess-girl right now... Are there some games like this one? I mean, so deep and emotional but at the same time nice?

I've already got Crescendo (my favorite by now), Heart de Roommate, Hourglass of Summer... Nothing else... Please tell me at my mail I would really appreciate it! oscar_encinas_pattzy@hotmail.com

The only thing I didn't fully enjoy Kana - Little sister -, is because I had to fight agains many troubles with it, the installer showed me errors due to the conversion and XP compat as I see, the game ran well WITHOUTH MUSIC, but ran well... Uncensoring it modified the original exe and I had to take it to Win 98/ME compat mode for being able to change full screen/window mode... Censored worked just fine without any troubles like those... But well, the 98/ME comat mode fixed it, but ruined the intro (wich I love) in fullscreen, so the conclusion is: WAS RUNNING PERFECTLY BEFORE UNCENSORING IT.

But about the music... I played without it, and I've tried everything but that solution in wich we had to convert, rip, etc... 'Cause I can't do it!!! But I really would appreciate too if you tell me how to listen to Kana's music in a image file, yes... I've got it un an image I wish I could buy the original, truly deserves being buyed... Or having the Okaeri version fully translated into english but voices would be perfect, isn't it? But well... I think that's never going to happen... So please pimp my ride... No, just kidding... So please, how can I hear the music from a .ISO (along with a .SUB) image file? I try opening with WMP when the image is mounted but it just shows me the D.O. logooooooooooooo, please, write to my mail: oscar_encinas_pattzy@hotmail.com

Thank you very much for your time!

zalas
2008-01-26, 17:06
Why not put the original disc in instead of using an image?

dsp2003
2008-01-29, 06:30
Why not put the original disc in instead of using an image?Probably because there's no "original" disc.

You can play music from .ISO + .SUB by mounting it into Daemon Tools CD\DVD-drive emulator. By using combination of DT & CDEx (good GPL audiograbber) you can extract the OST as MP3\OGG (i'd preffer OGG (^_^) ) and then use them with Serke's custom patch (read above).

P.S. Personally, i hate to use CD images AND CDs (any protection steals spirit of joy from the game).

Serke
2009-10-06, 18:53
Kana -Little Sister- BGM patch v1.2 (click here to download) (http://www.mediafire.com/file/mtdczqoeiig/Kana_BGM_patch_1.2.zip)

The new, rewritten from scratch version of the patch is finally ready. It fixes some annoying glitches of the previous version, such as:

- the noticeable sound glitch upon scene transition, when the music fades out and the next track begins to play
- the music playback being choppy to the point of being unlistenable when the hardware sound acceleration is turned off
- the music playback not pausing when the window is minimized or out of focus

Version 1.2: text delay bug is fixed (http://forums.novelnews.net/showpost.php?p=63916&postcount=34)

Music formats other than OGG are not supported anymore as I felt there's no point in supporting them - OGG is better than MP3, WAV takes too much disk space and if I wanted the best possible quality, I'd rather add support for FLAC. If you have a different opinion on the matter, please let me know. I'm open to suggestions.

The importand note: the patch is also a NoCD patch, meaning that after you install the patch and copy the necessary files from the game's CD to the folder where you previously installed the game (actually, there's only one file which has to be copied - OP.DOM), you don't need the CD anymore. Guess what that means? That's right: you can finally break your CD if that's what you want. Thanks to Rasqual Twilight for the idea. :-)

The other thing you should know is that the executable in the archive is the patched executable from official uncensor patch. The previous patch was based on the original executable from the first (censored) version of the game.

Patch installation instructions:

1. Go to the folder where your game is installed and make a backup copy of KANAUS.EXE (rename it to something like KANAUS.EXE.BAK or just move it to some other place, it's up to you)
2. Copy the content of the archive with the patch (KANAUS.EXE and BASS.DLL) to the folder with the game
3. Copy OP.DOM from you game CD to the folder with the game
4. Create a folder named 'CD' within the folder with your game
5. Use CDEx (http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/) (you can use any other program capable of ripping audio tracks and encoding them to OGG, but I suggest using CDEx) to rip the game music to OGG. Rename the OGG files to 'track02.ogg' (please note that the first track should be named 'track02.ogg') through 'track17.ogg' then place them in the previously created folder 'CD'.

Though I'm not going to be replaying this game anytime soon, I'd still like to tell you: Great work! It is very nice indeed to see people still dedicated to working on older projects, even if such work would have a small potential userbase. Not to jump into hyberbole, but I really think it's initiatives like this that can bring the 'fan' back in fan works. Just what the community at large needs, these days.

Serke
2009-10-10, 11:04
Kana -Little Sister- BGM patch v1.2 (bug fix + some internal changes)

There are some scenes in the game (like this one (http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9061/kana1.jpg) - those who played Kana will probably remember it) where you can't fast-click your way through the text lines as there's some delay after each line is printed. The value for the delay is calculated based on the playback position within the currently playing audio track. The previous versions of the patch contained a bug which prevented the game from properly calculating the value and as a result the delay couldn't be implemented. The bug is now fixed, see the updated link in the previous post.

Zero
2009-10-19, 18:39
Awesome, thanks for your hard work, Serke. I'll update my troubleshooting page with this new patch.

Unregistered
2010-07-26, 08:41
Now I've got the Kana Patch to work, but after playing it for a while I've encountered a serious problem:
My computer doesn't play any kind of sound/music anymore unless I'm running Kana.
For example, I turn on music in Winamp, but I can only hear it when I'm running the game, once I turn it off the music stops playing (well, it continues to play, but my speakers won't play it for some reason).
I've already tried restarting my pc and updating the drivers, but without success.
I have no idea how this strange bug could happen, but it makes me quite mad...

My computer doesn't play any kind of sound/music anymore unless I'm running Kana.

Wow, that's an interesting quirk indeed. Maybe DirectX is muted somehow? You could try running Kana, and then ending the process through task manager. Does this problem also occur if you run the standard Kana exe?

Unregistered
2010-07-26, 12:00
Wow, that's an interesting quirk indeed. Maybe DirectX is muted somehow? You could try running Kana, and then ending the process through task manager. Does this problem also occur if you run the standard Kana exe?

Closing the game through task manager also ends the sound.
When I run the game with the original exe no sound plays, it seems directly related to the patch.
One thing I forogt to mention:
I never had the problem with patch before, this time I switched to fullscreen with the patch for the first time...
Maybe it's related to the library functions of it, which somehow cause the error.
Oh, and thanks for the fast reply! ^^

Unregistered
2010-07-26, 18:15
Since the patch uses BASS audio library, try to replace bass.dll with the newer version, which you can get from here. (http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?bass24)

Unregistered
2010-07-27, 05:42
Since the patch uses BASS audio library, try to replace bass.dll with the newer version, which you can get from here. (http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?bass24)

Thanks, but the problem isn't that I have no sound in the game, the problem is that I suddenly can't hear any sound played on my pc when the game is closed/out of focus.

Unregistered
2010-07-28, 15:49
Thanks, but the problem isn't that I have no sound in the game, the problem is that I suddenly can't hear any sound played on my pc when the game is closed/out of focus.

Believe it or not I just had the same problem (Running Windows XP Service Pack 3)

I lost all the sound on my PC except for Kana, Crescendo which seems to have a similar underlying game engine also had sound. But nothing else did.

Ended up reinstalling the drivers for my soundcard and got the sound back. Unfortunately, I'm not going to use the patch. Worked like a charm, with the exception of screwing up my sound.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try his idea. This could be a bug in the dll, which might've been fixed since then.

Unregistered
2010-08-01, 05:46
That doesn't mean you shouldn't try his idea. This could be a bug in the dll, which might've been fixed since then.

I tried it and nothing has changed.
But thanks for the reply.